WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

New to Flames of War

General Discussion

New to Flames of War

Postby iamJMAN00793 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:25 pm

Hey guys, I've decided to get into playing Flames of War. I am a bit of a history buff, and have a working knowledge of WW2 and think it could be fun to play a historic game. I've went ahead and bought Open Fire! and have read through the rule book and looked at the units. Not sure where to go from there. I know there are a few guys that play at OCC, Dylan I'm looking at you, but not sure when you guys meet, what points you play at, and what books you allow. I'm considering a late war US armored division, I'm thinking Blood, Guts, and Glory would be the best place to start, but wanted to hear from some veteran players first.
Ultramarines - 4000 pts
W-8 / T-1 / L-4
Imerial Guard - 2000 pts
W-1 / T-0 / L-1
iamJMAN00793
Corporal

Re: New to Flames of War

Postby DylanGould » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:00 pm

iamJMAN00793 wrote:...not sure when you guys meet, what points you play at, and what books you allow.
The local days are generally Thursdays at OCC, Saturdays at Terracrux, and the occasional Wednesday at the Matrix. Any books, points vary.

iamJMAN00793 wrote:I'm considering a late war US armored division, I'm thinking Blood, Guts, and Glory would be the best place to start, but wanted to hear from some veteran players first.
Blood Guts & Glory is a good book for US armor. Decent variety, and one of the first where the US finally gets it's cool late-war toys.
DylanGould
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:18 pm

In addition, if you arte just looking to play, you can always post here and just say what time and date your looking for an apponent and within a day or two someone may well get back to you on that. So if you cant make an organized playing event, you can always just play a game anyways. Sometimes it's easier to do that way, frankly.

Anywho, welcome to the party. We just did a Normandy INvasion which was cool.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Kingpin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:46 pm

I have also been thinking of picking up flames of war. I have been kicking it around for a couple of years but never jumped in. I was thinking of playing the British but I really love tanks. Can they build a tank army at all and if so is it at least a little competitive?
Matt should be around here somewhere...lurking...
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Postby DylanGould » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:32 pm

Kingpin wrote: I was thinking of playing the British but I really love tanks. Can they build a tank army at all and if so is it at least a little competitive?
The Brits have quite a few balanced lists available, and my favorite Recon unit of all time...Stuarts with the Reconaissance skill!
DylanGould
Lieutenant

Postby Kingpin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:07 am

Anyone know of someone looking to part with some brithish stuff? a cheap second hand lot would be the best way to jump in I think
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:23 pm

Kingpin wrote:Anyone know of someone looking to part with some brithish stuff? a cheap second hand lot would be the best way to jump in I think

I might (shocker, I know).

My friend Chris has a very large British contingent. I could ask if he's wiling to part with it. He had said he wanted to keep it but honestly, He hasnt played in a coons age.

I'll ask him. Also, do you want to come over and play? We could throw down. I could do some teaching games with you. The game is easily my second favorite. It feels smewhat like 40K, but it has a lot more sensical ranges due to the scale, and the sense of the battle is kinda cool.

I'm not the biggest fan of British tanks but they do have some cool rules for it and some cool characters that make them fun to play. They also can obliterate with artillery and gun teams. Loooots of those can be deployed in some lists.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Kingpin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:45 pm

Yeah some learning games would be great. Dylan ran a couple for me a while back so I should be able to remember some stuff... maybe.
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Kingpin wrote:Yeah some learning games would be great. Dylan ran a couple for me a while back so I should be able to remember some stuff... maybe.

Cool. Call me and we'll hook up. in the meantime ill call Chris.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Centurious » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Bill and I have been playing pretty regular at the Game Matrix on Wednesdays at 6. Been Playing mostly late war (any LW book) 1900 pts or 1710 pts MW. Both of us have enough extra stuff to loan out if you need it, and I have nearly all the books for late and mid war lists. If you're interested come on by.
Centurious
Conscript

Next

Return to General Discussion