WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

post-tourney Forge World balance discussion

Tournament announcements, results, and feedback.

Re: 2000 Point ITC event, August 19th at 11:30 AM @ Game Wiz

Postby DylanGould » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:04 pm

TwitchyReaper wrote:Would it not be equally expected of someone wanting to perform well at a MTG tournament to know all of the rules of the various cards and mechanics that have come out in their current rule set? If someone did not know or obtain those rules prior to going to a MTG tournament would it be not surprising if they did not perform well?

Yep, but the cards come with the rule text on them, and can be read on the spot as they hit the table. The rules come with the expansion, and are universal to all cards in that set...as well as available for free online.
DylanGould
Lieutenant

Re: post-tourney Forge World balance discussion

Postby agentorange » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:02 am

When it comes to fw now, I always ask for the rules. No rules, I grab a TO. I've been burned too many times to alow it in a tourney. I know who you're talkibg about. It was a Mugu player. You should have definitely asked for those rules. That's seems like he took advantage of the situation.
It's not heresy if your eyes were closed.
agentorange
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:14 pm

agentorange wrote: I know who you're talkibg about. It was a MUGU player. You should have definitely asked for those rules. That's seems like he took advantage of the situation.

He did. But he was tabled. Just rewards were meted out. He's a very good player and didn't have to do that. he has won most of the games against me because i tend to take the fun stuff and try to win that way. But he was always hard pressed to defeat my Ghostkeel force. It daunted him greatly.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby TwitchyReaper » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:21 pm

So after reading how his turn went I will say this. He definitely cheated. There is NO physical way 2 suits with 2 guns each could destroy 4 units. Targeting issues not withstanding, there just isn't enough damage output.

Secondly, that is where asking for the rules ahead of time is vital, as once I saw that is uber-awesome flamer weapon only had an 8" range, I would make sure that anything of mine was more than 26" away from those two suits. Also, I would probably have put the custodes inside the Landraider at that point to protect them.

Thirdly, if the custodes were inside the landraider then there is no way he could have even shot at the custodes as it is highly unlikely that a single suit would be able to kill the landraider on it's own.

If this individual was a Mugu player, I hate to say it but that just seems to go along with many other accounts of their team I have heard. So I am not surprised there. If you want to come down to OCC some time this weekend and I can have Josef bring his Tau we can go over some options of how to combat something like that in the future? I would be more than willing to help out there.

So unfortunately your bias of the FW overpowered-ness is based on a situation that is not the fault of the rules or the balance, but a player taking advantage of you not knowing the rules, i.e. cheating. Sorry this happened to you.
TwitchyReaper
Corporal

Postby Morendie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:36 pm

TwitchyReaper wrote:So after reading how his turn went I will say this. He definitely cheated. There is NO physical way 2 suits with 2 guns each could destroy 4 units. Targeting issues not withstanding, there just isn't enough damage output.

Secondly, that is where asking for the rules ahead of time is vital, as once I saw that is uber-awesome flamer weapon only had an 8" range, I would make sure that anything of mine was more than 26" away from those two suits. Also, I would probably have put the custodes inside the Landraider at that point to protect them.

Thirdly, if the custodes were inside the landraider then there is no way he could have even shot at the custodes as it is highly unlikely that a single suit would be able to kill the landraider on it's own.

If this individual was a Mugu player, I hate to say it but that just seems to go along with many other accounts of their team I have heard. So I am not surprised there. If you want to come down to OCC some time this weekend and I can have Josef bring his Tau we can go over some options of how to combat something like that in the future? I would be more than willing to help out there.

So unfortunately your bias of the FW overpowered-ness is based on a situation that is not the fault of the rules or the balance, but a player taking advantage of you not knowing the rules, i.e. cheating. Sorry this happened to you.

here is the problem about defending against it. 2/3 of my army was killed turn 1, and it was the entire power portion of the army. And the distance those units travel, and damage output, is not something I would ever expect, Especially with my custodes that through experience, takes a lot of focus and time removing. Nothing else has outputed that much damage in a single turn, first turn alone. I had 0 chance of victory.

In the future, if I had a choice, I wouldn;t even fight against it a second time. I want to have fun, not be 75% steamrolled turn 1.
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
Morendie
Lieutenant

Postby Gonewild » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:07 am

So, what are some units that you would autoban, that are currently allowed by the ITC? Reasoning behind it?
Gonewild
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm a Tau general but... I'd definitely start with the Y'Varha battlesuits for sure. Lol. They are just...yeesh.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby WrentheFaceless » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:02 pm

I would have disagreed strongly in 7th as FW wasnt dominating the meta by any means.

But FW did such a piss-poor job balancing and even proofreading their 8th Ed indexes I wouldnt be opposed to a FW ban until they actually get their crap together.
WrentheFaceless
Sergeant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:02 pm

Had to fight a 75 Power Titan and an Imperial Knight at yesterdays tournament. So that was fun. I did table him but I mean...damn.

I just don't get how that is supposed to be "awesome fun". I had fun to be honest because I knew i could do the job. but we're talking about something that is t9... 35 wounds... 3+ save... void shields... so.... It erases three units per round most of the time.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Previous

Return to Tournaments