WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Seattle heart of Fire ITC Major

Tournament announcements, results, and feedback.

Seattle heart of Fire ITC Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:51 pm

So I am going with Nathan (and we pray, Doug, though he might not make it?) to the big Seattle Heart of Fire tournament.

2 days, six games of Warhammer plus lunches provided, $90. We are staying at the Red Lion Bellevue so we can just head down the elevator and play. Easy peasy.

Two things. FIRST: what the heck should I bring? As this is a Major, i kinda want to put my best foot forward.

Second: anyone up for painting with me so i can actually look halfway decent at this one? I hate painting alone. HATE IT. but its fun to do with friends.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Re: Seattle heart of Fire ITC Major

Postby Flying Death Toast » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Tau not work at BAO?
Purge them with fire.
Flying Death Toast
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:26 pm

They did well at BAO, but I ended up getting injured right before my fourth game and really was not giving it my a game.

I ended up dead i nthe middle of the pack. that is also partly because of a HIGHLY questionable call on my opponents part in round 4 but whatevs.

Anyways, anyone willing to paint with me the next couple days? Also what should I bring? Tau Empire is good nd i am a good General for them. Sisters of Battle probably havent gottn their share ofthe sunlight this year though. Dark Eldar are really fun. I dunno. Its gotta be painted which is where i start running into troubles.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby WinterTalon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:47 pm

How did it go? I see you faced todd once more. Bad luck their you and he seam to have issues facing each other.
WinterTalon
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:17 pm

Nope. Our game was fine. Couple issues but it was fine. I missed a charge that would have allowed me to win. Close loss
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:10 am

...aaaaaand I'm home!
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Just reporting back from the front lines.

First game was against a high ranked cheater playing 2 Pylons, which he then joined with like 5 Necron characters. They aren't artilery Crew but he was giving them all T7 just for being in its unit. The rules on page 64 clearly state that the "Artillery Unit" consists of the CREW and the GUNS. It then says that the Artillery unit (Crew and guns) are the same toughness as the Artillery. He cheated like that in every game. We said two enormously steep tall "mountain" terrain pieces were impassable, and then when he deep struck his Pylon unit into it, it suddenly wasn't. Worst cheat which cost me four points at games end was when he brought on his last Night Scythe and jetted it 36" across the board and deployed his immortals six inches out and then ran them to the Primary objective way over in my deployment zone through a gap that was way too small and basically told me to deal with it. Only problem is, that's illegal too. He ended up placing very well overall but...he lost to me despite all of his chicanery. This is not a guy who doesn't know the rules. Cost me a lot of points in the standings which pisses me off. So yeah. Win number one. I feel for his opponents after me because most of this stuff on the Night Scythe and the Artillery kind of occurred to me after the fact and all I knew is that nothing he was doing felt right, but I didn't want to halt an already contentious game to check up on pretty much everything he was doing. I could go on about the argument we had at the very end about the objective (It got moved a few times because the mat was kind of hanging over the table and so I put it back at its postion six inches from the edge and he threw a fit about that, ironically as he's jetting 36" and depositing his immortals on it through tiny gaps. Lol. Good gawd).

Second game was against Todd Johannsens White Scars battle Company. He seized. His entire army does essentially one thing: he scouts to the middle and sits there the entire game and rolls dice at you. That is it. Lol. There is no artistry to it. He simply GravCannons you until you can't see straight with Grav amps. It works! I did really well against it mostly due to the Ghostkeels unique ability to dodge damage a little bit at range. My Stormsurge kind of whiffed on his missiles which hurt a little. I made one little error in judgement and backed away instead of moving forward on him with my Ghostkeels on the 4th round (there really was no more reason to hide honestly with my saves and so late in the game) and then in turn five I needed a charge with the Ghostkeels to seal a win. missed it because I just didnt advance enough the previous round. Game over. It was a good game though and he sportingly rolled for the combat just to see what would happen if I made the charge. I would indeed have won. Even with the loss I got points so it wasn't a terrible. Todd is a strong opponent so if you get a chance to play him and you want a challenge, fight him. His standing in the ITC is well deserved. I think I've lost to him like three times now, and two of the three were close affairs. I'll get him eventually. =)

Third game was against Aaron Bang. He is a SUPERLATIVE painter and has won tournaments. He had a GREAT looking Lamenters army, different than the one I faced before. This time he went Triple Storm Raven on me, pretty much a 180 degree turn from his previous Lamenters force. I feel he made an error in the second round when he didn't disembark all his stuff in favor of firing down on me hard. I think he could have had a really strong game had he done it but as it was, I managed to blow a Raven out of the sky and killed almost everyone inside it, and had already killed three units of Null Maidens as they tried to cross to objectives. His Null Maidens were a real interesting inclusion in his force. It was my first chance to see them up close. Aaron is a super nice guy and i love having him at our Elvensword Ambassadorial GT. Only the second time I've gotten to face him in an actual game but I've known him for quite a while.

I looked at the list for my game four opponent and knew I was going to have to out general him and focus on his fast attacks in a Scouring mission. His list had me outclassed and I decided to attempt to draw him towards the low end objectives to kill me (as he inevitably would) and back door the higher point objectives, instead of trying to outgun his big Riptide Wing and Dual Stormsurges. The plan worked. He had Maelstrom points pretty firmly in hand, early, but at end of five I had Primary despite only having one model left, the StormSurge (with two wounds). if the game ended it was to be a very hard fought trip to the tertiaries. The game didn't end, so I conceded. I kind of knew I was going to lose this one because A)Sean Morgan is a good general and has actually WON our Elvensword Ambassadorial GT (ironic that I would meet not one but three of our Ambassadors in battle this weekend out of 62 people) and B) that list is just a really well known list that Frankie at Frontline gaming pretty much put on the map. Sean took 3rd place overall at TSHFT so no shame in losing there. I had hoped to get more points out of the loss, and almost did get Primary as I said. I'd say my largest error which was pretty egregious, was forgetting his Tetras could scout. That cost me. My disdain for Forge World probably didn't help me out there.

Game 5 was against Perry Spillman. He brought three Sicaran Battle tanks to kick things off, in an Iron Hands list with drop pods for days and some Ironclads that would have made me very sad had they reached me. Armor 12 on the rear of those battle tanks is a thing, which would somewhat mitigate my Ghostkeels effectiveness at range so I decided to deep strike the whole unit and infiltrate my Stealthsuits and Assassin to meet up wioth them closer to juicy melta range. Ultimately, I swept right and started the party off. His Drop pods kept dropping on objectives, empty but annoying and AV 12 is pretty good. Nonetheless i eventually did kill the pods i had to kill, and got all the way around the board on him. At games end there was essentially nothing left of his force. I think in his defense, my Stormsurge rolled like a CHAMP on his saves and not even so much his saves as his Feel no Pain rolls. I was quite fortunate in that regard, or it mighjt have been a little more even. As it was that stormsurge was on fire, and it did work. I felt like its survival really made the game for me.

Game 6 was against Oliver Reeves. He was a cool cat and he had a squad he literally wrote down as "The Command Squad of Dickery" because it was all Grav guns, Storm shields, 3+ feel no pain, rerolling this and that and blah blah blah. Unkillable killiness. His army was TINY, with an Imperial Knight, his command squad, two Thunderfires which did work, his scouts and two Storms and another Sicaran Battletank and these had more legacies on them. I think I counted 24 models? But lemme tell ya, those 24 models were kinda scary in their potential and he had put his bikes directly across from my Objective 1 and 2 so I abandoned that side completely and went diametrically across the board, figuring an Imperial Knight (with SEVEN Hull Points) was less scary. As it turns out that thing could regen points and he had a Techbiker who could fix him so It took a lot of firepower to down it. He also reduced the str of my weapons by 1 (and -2 when its a blast! Imperial Knight magics) and that made it even tougher. Long story short he had his Sicaran Battle Tank left at the end BUT it took til turn four to even wound his Bike Squad and I fired a LOT into it. Once his Commander went down it fell like dominoes but dang...that guy is TOUGH.

4-2, and a charge away from winning one more? Fun. I had a good time and my back survived it which is nice.
Last edited by Unorthodoxy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby WrentheFaceless » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:54 am

Yea there were a few players that I had heard were playing fast and loose with the rules, sorry to hear you got one of those game one.
WrentheFaceless
Sergeant

Postby Kingpin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:45 am

Nice write up. Wish I could have made it.
Matt should be around here somewhere...lurking...
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:12 am

Necron player Baxter Seguin says "Thats the way it works" when I ask him why he's giving all his characters T7 while attached to Pylons. it doesn't. Page 64. Clear as day. Should have argued a lot more. Didn't.

Incredibly steep "mountain" terrain piece was impassable. He mishap'd into it and suddenly it... isn't? AFTER i had almost jumped into the same piece with a Crisis suit and we had briefly talked about how close that was.

He moves his Night Scythe over 36" (he used the base and not the model) from his long board edge and then disembarks and runs to the Emperors will objective through a gap too small. Illegal. THAT cost me tournament points.

The only thing he was right about the whole game was interceptor. My smart Missiles, according to the TO, need line of sight to intercept...even though they ignore line of sight? I didn't get that at first. But the interceptor rule does say you must have line of sight to intercept so I guess the concept is that Interceptor doesn't get TRIGGERED unless there's line of sight, so therefore the weapon never fires anyways. Makes sense but you had to think about it for a second. But we agreed on that one and moved on.

This other stuff was HIGHLY impactful to the game. He was bouncing shots left and right on T7, when he shouldn't have, he should have had to mishap, he should have never gotten to the Emperors Will objective at the end. He's a cheater. If he shows up at any of our tournaments I'll show him the door or I'll head to the door. It'll be one or the other.

He cheated everyone he played. Lame. I have had issues with him three out of three games I played with him. We will never be buddies.

I actually was glad this happened game one so that I could enjoy the rest of the tournament. and i did. Its worse when its a middle game and youi have to stew about it the last two games. I won which made it even more okay, but if you look at how many ITC points i lost by being just one spot lower, you will understand my ire.
Last edited by Unorthodoxy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Next

Return to Tournaments