WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Looking to get some games in on Sunday Dec 10th around 12pm!

General discussions

Looking to get some games in on Sunday Dec 10th around 12pm!

Postby Unorthodoxy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:42 am

Who wants to make some free time Sunday? 2K points. Id like to try the ITC missions again. I havent really played them since they made changes. I can play at Game Matrix as well.

Let me know. I can probably play two games, and anyone else is welcome to drop in for games as well. OCC closes at 6pm so two games max if we play there.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Re: Looking to get some games in on Sunday around 12pm!

Postby Kingpin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:12 pm

I would love to give the new ITC missions a go after the changes. Let me check my schedule (aka ask the wife) and I will let you know when I will be free Sunday.
Matt should be around here somewhere...lurking...
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Postby Kingpin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Ok I am down all at anytime. Just let me know
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:05 am

Alright, so I just finished up running D&D (11 hour session...loved it, big mega fight) so I'm going to bed but tomorrow works.

When I wake up I'll call you for deets.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby WinterTalon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:51 am

I am looking to play too. The matrix is good for me but i can travel as well.
WinterTalon
Lieutenant

Postby qantang2 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:33 pm

i will be at occ around noon.
qantang2
Lieutenant

Re: Looking to get some games in on Sunday Dec 10th around 1

Postby Kingpin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:15 pm

I will be getting there about 1
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Postby WinterTalon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:29 pm

Sorry hoping to get there than life happened.Maybe later in the week.
WinterTalon
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Matt and I played a timed game to try and use the new ITC mission. We needed up with Hammer and Anvil playing the mission 5.

I chose Old School, Recon and Behind Enemy Lines as my "Secondary". In addition the bonus mission was to get three HQ's onto three separate objectives simultaneously for a single point if you did. Otherwise you were to kill more units than the enemy in every turn and of course hold more objectives for more turns.

The mission is ideal for my style of army, which has a fairly good number of Objective Secured models that can get anywhere and only crafty positioning can stop that to a nextent (so always place in a crafty manner of course).

Matt did. Both of us deployed strategically to control the board and not allow the enemy to get their parachute units in on the other. This game of cat and mouse was expertly played, on his part, with sintinels which he used to form the all important halo for keeping my units at bay. I in turn spaced everything to deny him a place to land his own parachute troops. I completed the same essential task using my Rough riders.

As usual, I lost initiative. Ugh. I never go first. Never!

Anywho, he attempted to get First Strike by killing the basilisk and came one wound short of the promised land, but he did nuke three of my Ratlings. he added a couple of wounds to the Taurox Prime which was centrally located and he put 8 wounds on my Wyvern (who later jury rigged it to 7). His Leman Russ battle tanks, Wyvern and his Manticore were real assets

I dropped in 4 of my six Scion squads, plus two command squads. the Command Squads eliminated his Chimera on the right, the Scions eliminated the Sintinels, Matt's Ratlings and a unit of infantry that were hiding behind some trees ( with help from the Wyvern and its Aerial Spotters). Overall a dominating first round. i scored about everything I could score and would have scored the Bonus point also had i been thinking. but uh forgot about it and left my commender dude in the Taurox Prime.

The second round went similarly. With the Rough Riders advancing hardon the right flank. towards the enemy to charge the remnants of the Chimera and its doubty crew from before, that left my Basilisk open to his two small Scion squads who dropped in, killed the Basilisk and shot the Wyvern on the far left flank. the ones on the left flank also made their charge against the Wyvern but through brutal means were largely shot to death as they came in leaving one guy. he used a command point to avoid his Sergeants death in melee, which in turn robbed me of the Wyverns use for a round, so totally worth it. He belched death on me and killed FOUR Scion squads with about as little effort as any general has a right to ask for. He also locked the Taurox Prime in combat with a frigging Chimera. Sigh. the one thing i do not understand in 8th is why that is a thing. But it is! His Demolisher and a screening unit jumped from nowhere in his backfield to help with all this slaughter. Lot of dead scions that round.

Turn around is fair play. I used my Chimera to burninate his Demolishers screen of folks, and then charged the survivors AND his Hellhound with my Hellhound, stopping them from firing next round. I used my Command Squads to advance and pour fire down n the enemy and kill another Chimera, this time the one carrying his Crusaders. The Roguh riders were too far away for me to make the charge when it was all said and done but this time I remembered to get my Bonus Point from the mission. Wyverns did a fair amount of work but I was frustratingly far from being able to kill his TRUE threats. Some Brave Flamer dudes threw grenades at no one and then charged the warlord. Never killed the guy but it locked up his Wyvern for a round.

In the end he left a gap (intentionally) allowing me to drop in two Scion Squads which popped a Leman Russ and at the end of the game it was 16-13 Militarum Tempestus. The game was quite close (as it had been the first time).

His Leman Russ's firing twice is insanity. The only true answer to his list is yet more and powerful artillery and unfortunately I had to return my Manticpre to Matt Haenke after borrowing it for quite a long time. JUST got the model in yesterday, so moving forward, i should have a bit more ability to inflict damage on his main damage dealers. Wyverns are ill equipped to try and damage Tough 8 armor but a Manticore does it just fine. the satistical distance between needing to roll a 3 vs. 5 against that Leman Russ armor, with as many shots as a Manticore gets is very important. Doing damage with the Manticore and then finishing things off with an Aerial Spotter wielding Basilisk is almost a death sentence for most armor. Of course, he made sure to kill that basilisk as soon as possible. Lol.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Return to General Discussion