WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

New Facebook group for us

General discussions

Re: New Facebook group for us

Postby Setsunakai » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:30 pm

The community is essentially a loose collection of lifers at this point. We need to funnel the new players into the community before the honeymoon period is over and they cycle out to other games.

I find that alot of new players I run into have no idea that there is a community, let alone how big it was during the DBC days.

The community needs better optics and I've been meaning to make a write up on how to do this, but first step would be to establish a game day in the week to try to meet up, so the store can direct people to a specific night. I know most of us have tables at home but we should try to make an effort to make it to the store.

Vote for night
http://www.strawpoll.me/14417929

Vote for location (I guess it's only fair instead of just assuming OCC)
http://www.strawpoll.me/14417947
Setsunakai
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:51 pm

Setsunakai wrote:The community is essentially a loose collection of lifers at this point. We need to funnel the new players into the community before the honeymoon period is over and they cycle out to other games.

I find that alot of new players I run into have no idea that there is a community, let alone how big it was during the DBC days.

The community needs better optics and I've been meaning to make a write up on how to do this, but first step would be to establish a game day in the week to try to meet up, so the store can direct people to a specific night. I know most of us have tables at home but we should try to make an effort to make it to the store.

Vote for night
http://www.strawpoll.me/14417929

Vote for location (I guess it's only fair instead of just assuming OCC)
http://www.strawpoll.me/14417947

I answered the poll.

We regularly schedule games all during the week. Without struggle. You can do the same.
We car pool to tournaments together.
We hold regular tournaments as well.
Saturdays are typically the day we play Warhammer 40,000 and its on the Calendar at Gabi's. Check it out.

Plug in. Theres over 30 players locally, and new ones are coming online. Joon is new. Play him. Chase is fairly new and yet experienced. Jon is new. Shake his hand and play him. Eric is pretty new (not totally but he has few enough games in).

That's just the new guys that I am thinking of. Jason has technically played a long time but his actual number of games is super low. Karyn (as he prefers to be called) is kinda getting going with Jason. Robert hasn't played a lot yet. You could play him. And then there's the salty dogs. Lol.

No shortage. Just stick out your hand and say hello.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Kingpin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:16 pm

Sure there are new players out there but how many of the play regularly. How many of them are even interested in tournament play. I get what Setsu is saying. I remember when we had monthly tournaments at OCC and we could pack the house with just the Olympia players. Now we have to drive to Bremerton or Portland and the numbers with all the people from out of town are still lower then they use to be. We use to have 20+ player tournaments on the regular now that is even hard to do with traveling.
Matt should be around here somewhere...lurking...
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Postby Morendie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:45 pm

Kingpin wrote:Sure there are new players out there but how many of the play regularly. How many of them are even interested in tournament play. I get what Setsu is saying. I remember when we had monthly tournaments at OCC and we could pack the house with just the Olympia players. Now we have to drive to Bremerton or Portland and the numbers with all the people from out of town are still lower then they use to be. We use to have 20+ player tournaments on the regular now that is even hard to do with traveling.

The problem is no one is hosting monthly tournaments, not the players, we got the players, and tons of new ones rolling in, there are also quite a bit that just want to play casually for fun, not tournament players who are full of rule nazis that will ruin the fun of the casuals. You would probably get more casuals in if just the core rules were implemented and were more laxed setting. No entry fee, no prize, i know quite a few people who avoid the tournament setting because of the crowd it attracts. I have personally moved more away from tournaments because of it.

Even if you just did monthly ITC tournaments, you should still get a good sized crowd going. But I'm telling yah, focus on bringing in the casuals and you will get a lot more players.
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
Morendie
Lieutenant

Postby Setsunakai » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Morendie wrote:But I'm telling yah, focus on bringing in the casuals and you will get a lot more players.

This, imo is the best metric of the health of the community, which is how easy it is to get a pick up game; and right now its pretty difficult.

I play almost every saturday and never find a random person who wants to play, I get people coming up to me often and asking when the normal night for 40k is and i tell them saturday. To which they look around and basically find out that no one is there. I've even had some of the employees at OCC ask me the same question.

Scheduling games is fine but it doesn't help build the community, since your dance card is already filled for the next 3 hours.
Setsunakai
Lieutenant

Postby Kingpin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:07 pm

@ Morendie: You are proving my point for me. And calling me a rules Nazi sure isn't helping your case. There has always been a casual crowd that don't go to events. I have no problem with that and encourage everyone to play the game how they like. My point was we had a large base of competitive players in the Oly/Lacey area at one time and Warsound use to be a very active forum with multiple threads a day. Now we see about 10 users on Warsound and tournaments are so small Joseph can host them in his house. OCC never hosted tournaments. It was always run by the players and Gabi gave us the table space. I use to TO tournaments in 5th. I would do it now but I just don't like the rules enough. I guess I could start a house rules tournament and see if anyone would show up.
Matt should be around here somewhere...lurking...
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:57 am

Kingpin wrote:Sure there are new players out there but how many of the play regularly. How many of them are even interested in tournament play. I get what Setsu is saying. I remember when we had monthly tournaments at OCC and we could pack the house with just the Olympia players. Now we have to drive to Bremerton or Portland and the numbers with all the people from out of town are still lower then they use to be. We use to have 20+ player tournaments on the regular now that is even hard to do with traveling.

To be more accurate, we were dredging to get 8 players when 6E hit and it took me a LONG time to get it up from that number. A long time. Even when the Deffrollaz first started, that was pretty much the case at end of 5E. The DBC had all but disappeared by then but they were still there, tis true. Certainly not attending in force or even close to it as they used to. A Couple per event usually, specifically Scott and... crap. Mike Matt? I think that's right.

This golden age you speak of was later as 7E approached and then much earlier in 5E.

But I want to say something here that gets lost in this kind of thing. Gabi HERSELF was not running those events. We had between 16-26 people regularly. Gabi approved us doing it there but that was it. Promotion and all that was left to us. And we did well. But you can only miss out on so many events as a TO before something has to give. In 2015 I ran 20 tournaments at 4 stores because 20 was my goal for the year (as it turns out...don't make that a goal in the future; and renege on it if you have no character but at least some common sense). It was gloriously fun (and exhausting). Do the math in your head. I RAN 20 that year and still needed time to play some. I was burnt out. I once ran three events in a month. Too much.

The trouble...then...was also that all the stores BUT Gabi's gave me significant support. None of you turned that down! I have good relationships with the store owners and they are willing to trust me with the prize support and so hell, when the prize pool is TWICE what people paid to get in, a LOT of people are getting prizes and having fun, especially newbs who show up, lose three games and walk away with $80. Pretty cool. As a consequence, the ones at Gabi's did dwindle. In 2016 I only ran 14 events, and I played in a lot more than the previous year (top 3% in the ITC!!!) but didn't run the GT at years end. Couldn't get the sponsors lined up in time and the holidays took over from there. Of those 14 events, I think only three were at Gabi's (two in rapid succession and one more as I recall). Any others, I don't recall.

In 2017 (this year) I have run 8 plus the GT in January to make up for the normally scheduled October 2016 GT, and I think two were at Gabi's, plus Paul ran the annihilation tournament on his own. So I think we did three in 2017 at OCC (so far). I wish Gabi would take the initiative to run the tournaments monthly, but she literally has no one on staff that knows what they are doing when it comes to 40K ITC events, nor the interest. Competing priorities further complicate it as does scheduling that works for the guy running it (me), other ITC events, and with her Magic drop dates and all that jazz. It all has to fit

It's easy to do one on a whim at home because only one schedule matterrs: mine. Or at another store. Thats why Ive held them at my hisoos as well.
Just easier to have one when youwant to. Paul is the only one with a background in it at Gabi's though, and he doesnt work the crap weekend hours anymore and hasn't for a pretty long time. Options are limited.

So if you want to know what changed, it wasn't the player base. They are as vibrant as ever. I can literally send a text to 30 of them tomorrow and organize something. Last tournament had what, 16 people register (minus the inevitable "oops I slept in" guys so I think it was officially 14 or whatever) with people from as far as Aloha Oregon, on a Sunday, for a 1500 point friendly? I mean... that was with less notice than I normally give, at a venue that hasn't done any 40K events at its new store front. This was a very good thing.

I had a limit of 12 I could host at my home tournament recently. Our only dud in 2017 was the one that had like 6 people there. That one was still fun but it was unfortunate that I didn't have more time to really promote it. It was just kind of two guys talking about it and saying "screw it, lets do one!" And there were a BUNCH of competing events that weekend. Meh. What can ya do.

If Gabi organizes tournaments every month, and puts in at least as much effort, she will get the same turnouts you pine for. True story. What has changed is that other stores have the staff who really know 40K, and they are enthusiastically promoting it among the staff, selling the event to every person who walks in and generally driving it. You go where the food is, nomad! It's a thing. If Gabi hires someone who likes 40K I think its a whole other ball game.

Applicants, start your engines. We need you to work for Gabi. =)
Last edited by Unorthodoxy on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:01 am

Kingpin wrote:@ Morendie: You are proving my point for me. And calling me a rules Nazi sure isn't helping your case. There has always been a casual crowd that don't go to events. I have no problem with that and encourage everyone to play the game how they like. My point was we had a large base of competitive players in the Oly/Lacey area at one time and Warsound use to be a very active forum with multiple threads a day. Now we see about 10 users on Warsound and tournaments are so small Joseph can host them in his house. OCC never hosted tournaments. It was always run by the players and Gabi gave us the table space. I use to TO tournaments in 5th. I would do it now but I just don't like the rules enough. I guess I could start a house rules tournament and see if anyone would show up.

I dont think he WAS calling you a rules Nazi. He was simply describing the category of person who has made it easier for him to kick it with the homies instead of the alternative. Just my opinion of what he said.

Chase is a fun opponent and he is HILARIOUS in general.

What hurts me is that after all these years...you misspelled my name. Lol.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Morendie » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Kingpin wrote:@ Morendie: You are proving my point for me. And calling me a rules Nazi sure isn't helping your case. There has always been a casual crowd that don't go to events. I have no problem with that and encourage everyone to play the game how they like. My point was we had a large base of competitive players in the Oly/Lacey area at one time and Warsound use to be a very active forum with multiple threads a day. Now we see about 10 users on Warsound and tournaments are so small Joseph can host them in his house. OCC never hosted tournaments. It was always run by the players and Gabi gave us the table space. I use to TO tournaments in 5th. I would do it now but I just don't like the rules enough. I guess I could start a house rules tournament and see if anyone would show up.

Never called you a rules Nazi, but it's interesting you were quick on the defensive for that:p, honestly I don't even remember who you are as a person. I have a terrible time matching usernames and faces. As joe said I was talking about the type of people who often roam tournaments.
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
Morendie
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:01 pm

Pics are up of our last battle, on facebook.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Previous

Return to General Discussion