WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Did Tau get nuked in 8th Edition?

General discussions

Did Tau get nuked in 8th Edition?

Postby Tim » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:01 am

So I've been reading around the inter webs, looking at other peoples opinions on the 8th Edition TAU,and its seems to be a genreal consensus that they got pretty whacked with the new rules. Units becoming more expensive, putting them outside their cost to lethality ranges. Huge losses in mobility. Rip tides were needed pretty hard. Etc etc. So what do you all think? Did they get nuked, or are people just not using them properly?
Tim
Soldier

Re: Did Tau get nuked in 8th Edition?

Postby Morendie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:57 am

Tim wrote:So I've been reading around the inter webs, looking at other peoples opinions on the 8th Edition TAU,and its seems to be a genreal consensus that they got pretty whacked with the new rules. Units becoming more expensive, putting them outside their cost to lethality ranges. Huge losses in mobility. Rip tides were needed pretty hard. Etc etc. So what do you all think? Did they get nuked, or are people just not using them properly?

I havent had any problems losing against tau or seeing them dominate games..
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
Morendie
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:53 am

My T'au Empire are 6-2, and one of the losses was a "time-out" loss in a tournament I would have won butthe game just went way too slow. We only did 3 turns. I would ghave finished tabling him in round 4 but there never was a round 4. Other was a learning experience against Magnus, which I avenged later.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Morendie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Tim wrote:So I've been reading around the inter webs, looking at other peoples opinions on the 8th Edition TAU,and its seems to be a genreal consensus that they got pretty whacked with the new rules. Units becoming more expensive, putting them outside their cost to lethality ranges. Huge losses in mobility. Rip tides were needed pretty hard. Etc etc. So what do you all think? Did they get nuked, or are people just not using them properly?

I dont believe any faction got any real "tanked", every race got various nerfs, buffs and reworks, so you just have to learn how to play them again. You can't really play like its 7th edition.
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
Morendie
Lieutenant

Postby VeiledMalice » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:06 pm

Tau are currently suffering from a reduced list of "good" units to take. There are a couple things which jump out immediately - Riptides, Crisis Suits, Broadsides, all of which are currently overcosted for what they do. The loss of Jump Shoot Jump was a blow to the standard Tau maneuverability shenanigans as well. On the other hand, you have Commanders and Gun drones, which for their points are some of the strongest units in the game. It's a mixed bag, but with the way codexes have been coming out - points reductions, much more individual focus and opportunity to build lists tailored to the way you want to play, I wouldn't worry too much long term.
VeiledMalice
Sergeant

Return to General Discussion