WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Detachments

Do not feed the trolls.

Detachments

Postby Justinwrites » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:13 am

So I never played during the editions that used allied forces in a list. Therefore I want to see if there is something I'm missing in the context of the detachment rules. It seems that, points costs not withstanding, I could field a detachment of orks alongside a detachment of blood angels, is this correct? Do you think this will be common in tournament play?
Justinwrites
Corporal

Re: Detachments

Postby Morendie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:35 am

I dont think I read anything about races allying. Only detachments must have same faction, so all of Imperium can be mixed match into a single formation. and in ITC up to 3 total detachments/formations
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
Morendie
Lieutenant

Postby Setsunakai » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:33 pm

Short answer: it depends

Long answer:
There are essentially 7 main factions in the game now
-Imperium
-Chaos
-Eldar
-Tyranids
-Necrons
-Tau
-Orkz

To create a battleforged army for matched play (and by extention tournament play), you will need to create an army within the constraints of one of these factions

which gives some armies a varied list of sub-factions to ally with (imperium, chaos, and eldar), while leaving others to only ally with itself (necrons, tau, and orkz).

However some of the sub-factions have zany rules in their special rules section, like genestealers allying with Guard (hormagaunt crew'd baneblades) or the fallen ambiguously allying with both imperium and chaos (are they the good guys or the bad guys?).

refer to this chart, main factions in yellow.
http://imgur.com/a/n4roI

However you can play narrative or open play and do what you want.
Setsunakai
Lieutenant

Postby Justinwrites » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:05 pm

Whew, that chart is complicated. So my reading is different which is why I wanted to bring it up. The rules for battleforged armies state that you must include at least one detachment. The detachment rules say all units in the detachment must be from the same faction keyword. Such as imperium or ultramarine. I have not zeroed in on the rule that says all detachments in a battleforged army must be the same faction. I just want to know if I'm going to face tyrannids infantry with guard artillery.
https://spikeybits.com/2017/05/force-or ... ition.html
Justinwrites
Corporal

Postby Justinwrites » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:21 pm

I don't have my rule book in reach (buried under sleeping baby) but can anyone confirm this?
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/06/ ... ction.html
Justinwrites
Corporal

Postby Setsunakai » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:24 pm

Justinwrites wrote:I have not zeroed in on the rule that says all detachments in a battleforged army must be the same faction. I just want to know if I'm going to face tyrannids infantry with guard artillery.

The rule is on page 214 in the rule book under "Army Faction" in the Matched Play rules. Matched Play is shaping to be the defacto way to play tournaments.

As for Tyranid armies fielding guard artillery, that is a possibility in two ways. The first is that Genestealer Cults have entries in their army for leman russ, sentinals, and all have the tyranid faction keyword. The second is the zany Blood Brothers special rule, that may be an oversight on GWs part, where for every detachment consisting entirely of Genestealer Cult units you can take a detachment consisting entirely of Astra Militarum units and ignore the fact that the detachment lack the correct faction keyword. So you take a detachement of tyranids+GSC, a detachment of GSC, and a third detachment of IG.
Setsunakai
Lieutenant

Postby Morendie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:32 pm

Here is the easiest simplest way to explain it. Does the units share a faction keyword? If yes then you can use it. Super simple. As long as your army shares a keyword your golden. Until you get special rules that say otherwise like gene stealers with imperial guard.
Morendie
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:00 am

Way too complicated folks.

ONE Faction keyword must be the same in all units in a single detachment. The end.

Those are the only instructions you need. Anything that follows that rule is golden. All orks in one detachment, all imperium in another? Fine.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby TwitchyReaper » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:06 pm

The matched play section specifically requires all units in an "Army" to share at least 1 faction key word. Thus if you are wanting to play competitively you will need to make sure all of your units share at least a single key word faction.
TwitchyReaper
Corporal

Postby Morendie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:05 pm

It's super easy, all imperium shares the imperium keyword, all chaos shares chaos keyword, tyranids nd gene stealers have tyranids keywords, all orcs share the orc keyword, all eldar factions share the same eldar keyword. It's beyond simple. 7th edition it was specific faction, here it's the race.
Morendie
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Rules Discussions