WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Detachments

Do not feed the trolls.

Re: Detachments

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Theres a distinction between army and detachment. Ill need to read this carefully. Might have been an illegal army or two last weekend if what im hearing here is accurate. Hmm... i must ponder this in the book...
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major
 
Posts: 4889
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Detachments

Postby Morendie » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:08 am

Unorthodoxy wrote:Theres a distinction between army and detachment. Ill need to read this carefully. Might have been an illegal army or two last weekend if what im hearing here is accurate. Hmm... i must ponder this in the book...


How so? All imperium stuff can be used in one army, all chaos in one army, all eldar in one army. you cant ally other races at all anymore.
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
User avatar
Morendie
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:55 am

Re: Detachments

Postby osan22 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:38 am

well yes and no mored, they can be in the same detatchement so long as they share one faction keyword. it doesnt really matter for like, say joe's tournament, unless it was ITC, and you regesitered as something else. say... blood angels, and had some ultramarines or grey knights or what have you in your list.

Basically put. lets use eldar as an example. Lets say you had a list with a unit of 90% craftworlders, but you had two drukhari, then the list would cease to be an Asuryani list, rather it would be an Aeldari list. Same thing goes with specific warhosts, or specific space marine chapters. basically, its a huge thing of semantics that a lot of people havent figured out yet, but it sort of matters for ITC to determine your ranking in your specific army. I forsee a bunch of "space marine" players are going to be imperium players, simply because of the little bits of imperial soup they add to their marines
Image
User avatar
osan22
Major
 
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:19 am
Location: Tenino

Re: Detachments

Postby Unorthodoxy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:17 pm

osan22 wrote:well yes and no mored, they can be in the same detatchement so long as they share one faction keyword. it doesnt really matter for like, say joe's tournament, unless it was ITC, and you regesitered as something else. say... blood angels, and had some ultramarines or grey knights or what have you in your list.

Basically put. lets use eldar as an example. Lets say you had a list with a unit of 90% craftworlders, but you had two drukhari, then the list would cease to be an Asuryani list, rather it would be an Aeldari list. Same thing goes with specific warhosts, or specific space marine chapters. basically, its a huge thing of semantics that a lot of people havent figured out yet, but it sort of matters for ITC to determine your ranking in your specific army. I forsee a bunch of "space marine" players are going to be imperium players, simply because of the little bits of imperial soup they add to their marines


Right thats exactly the issue. Ryen Fredin had an Imperium list but registered as Space Wolves. I told him about it but it was already the second round so whatevs. Not gonna be draconian about it at the first torunament. It's nigh impossible to expect no errors in the first one and I know no one made that mistake on purpose or anything.

But it is a discussion point worth mentioning so people do it right moving forward.

Also I looked it up and in Matched play it HAS to be Battle Forged and everything in there needs to be linked by at least one keyword...everything.

There's no loop hole. It's clear. So we (thank God) will actually be seeing actual armies that are actually what they say they are on the field. Oh glorious day.

However in normal games if you and your opponent weren't feeling that, you could so totally take a dump on that rule and play it with detachments that might not normally play together. Singular Detachments still have to be one keyword though.

Well the IMperium is going to be extremely difficult to top in Organized play, given this. I mean the Imperium spans an enormous amount of ground and will have so many players using the Imperium Keyword that I think the top player this year will likely be Imperium. Any other Keyword will be vying for second place, methinks. Worth noting.

But competing within your faction should be a solid goal for anyone and may even encourage more people to play SPECIFIC factions instead of the broader ones, just to avoid having to compete against such a large field. Also something to think about.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major
 
Posts: 4889
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Detachments

Postby Morendie » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Unfortunately I can't with custodes. You can't make a legal list of custodes. No hqs
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
User avatar
Morendie
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:55 am

Re: Detachments

Postby Unorthodoxy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:52 pm

Morendie wrote:Unfortunately I can't with custodes. You can't make a legal list of custodes. No hqs


INteresting problem. Guess its Imperium for you then
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major
 
Posts: 4889
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Previous

Return to Rules Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron