WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Barrage Weapons Vs Imp Knights

Do not feed the trolls.

Barrage Weapons Vs Imp Knights

Postby Shadowzilla » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:49 am

So barrage says it hits side armor when fired at a vehicle. If, at the start of the enemies shooting phase, I choose to have my imp knight put his ion shield on his left side, giving that side a 4+ invulnerable save. Then my opponent fires a barrage weapon at said knight and successfully hits and scores 2 HPs of damage. Would I get an invulnerable save vs that damage? All barrage says is it hits side armor, who specifies which side is hit? Or is this a case of a more outdated rule clashing with a newer one and there isn't a way to handle it per the rules?

Rule book quotes if possible please and thank you.
Shadowzilla
Major

Re: Barrage Weapons Vs Imp Knights

Postby Kingpin » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:14 am

There is no answer to this question. It isn't addressed anywhere in the rules. But if you are playing in an ITC event then they have ruled that the knight doesn't get a save.

Really the blast should be hitting top armor which isn't a thing I know. But in real life is usually the weakest armor on a tank.
Matt should be around here somewhere...lurking...
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Postby Shadowzilla » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:14 am

Gah that's a lame ruling haha. Thanks for the answer though.
Shadowzilla
Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:59 pm

Barrage weapons work a certain way. let them.

Clearly which side it is would be determined by where the hole in the Blast is, which should be pretty clear since you don' have to center blasts in the first place AND they don't land squarely centered on target as often.

So I think that the side (left or right) is determined by....the side its actually on! The arcs of vehicles didn't change. So if its behind the shield line, its behind it and if it's not, it's not.

I may be missing what the confusion really is? being a barrage isn't what negates a shield. The location of the barrage might.

Am I right? I mean without a "ruling" cant we obviously agree when its on one side or another and where the shield starts and stops by rule? is there some other question I may be missing?
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Kingpin » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:31 am

The problem is even if a barrage weapon lands on the very front of your vehicle it hits side armor. So now that your blast isn't centered on one of the side but still hits side armor which side is it hitting. Remember they have to declare a side for the shield before any shots are fired.
Matt should be around here somewhere...lurking...
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:48 am

Right but this sseem a simple matter of deciding or rolling off which SIDE to the front it was. Left front or right front. There is really no chance in hell it inds up absolutely dead center forward. Split the KNight in half and figure it out right?

I think we could be over complicating the issue. the statistical chances of anything lning on the molecularly perfect center front is so absurd that it will essentially never happen but if it DOES happen... roll it off. this seems simple enough right? That is how i would do it. And it will also be obvious whether that is in front or behind the shield line yeah?
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Shadowzilla » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:58 am

Right and doing it that way makes sense BUT I'm looking for rules to support a solution. That way of doing it probably wouldn't hold up in tournament play unfortunately. I'll just practice like I do not get the 4++ vs barrage. Though again I prefer the way you suggested.
Shadowzilla
Major

Postby agentorange » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:46 pm

Have you thought about emailing the ITC to see if they'll clarify this?
As for us I'd go with what ever side the center hole is closest to.
It's not heresy if your eyes were closed.
agentorange
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:28 pm

My comment is this: there already ARE rules for it. It hits the side. Clearly, the side it is on. The shield is always drawn from the same points so just see which side that is and whether its behind the shield line and... done. The rules support this. I dont think we need to have it explained to us that its on the side that its ACTUALLY ON. Hehe. This would seem so obvious as to not need an added sentence that says: "and in case youre brain dead, we obviously mean the SIDE ITS ON".

Well... you dont need that sentence unless youre dealing with the ITC. Because ITC fanatics need every obvious thing spoon fed to them. But whatever way you decide to go, I'd just discuss it when and if it matters.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Return to Rules Discussions