WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Tau Stormsurge question

Do not feed the trolls.

Tau Stormsurge question

Postby waffles » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:12 pm

Yea, yea yea... its me.

Anyway, looking into slowly getting back to playing here and there, and after being away for so long, I was looking through the newly aquired codex and seeing the new models and if my old style of play would bennefit from any of them.

One thing caught me off guard though: the stormsurge.

First off, if this has already been discussed, I am sorry. I did not see it.

So the question: Can it be giving the ability to overwatch? I know most gargantuan models can not. And indeed this one is no exception as it is the only suit in the game that does not have 'Supporting fire' in its special abilities. There is a catch though I am trying to figure out. It can have up to three support systems added. One of these can be a " Counterfire Defence System" that allows the suit with it to fire overwatch at BS 2. This is to allow most suits (that already have overwatch ability) to have a better ballistic skill. But with this system upon a stormsurge, would it grant help to assaulted tau brethren?

Sadly there is no FAQ sheet even created for Tau at this time so any insight/opinions would be great.

Waffles
waffles
Lieutenant

Re: Tau Stormsurge question

Postby VeiledMalice » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:09 pm

No, the Stormsurge cannot overwatch, even with the addition of CDS, because that piece of wargear does not override the "Gargantuan Creatures cannot overwatch" limitation. The only superheavy/Gargantuan I know of that can is the Tau'nar, and that's only with the specialized weapon system.
VeiledMalice
Sergeant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:11 pm

Nope. No Overwatch.

As for your style of play, Crisis Teams still work fine and can be three times as large as they used to be. So i don't think you'll have a problem. There are two big issues you must worry about for sure:

battle Companies who run around with 30 scoring units to your 13 (mostly not scoring) units. The second is ScatterBike spamming and its sheer weight of fire coupled with cover saves. There are answers to both but you must modify your list and your thinking to account for them

Nothing else I have seen really falls outside your normal scope of thought and list building. Clearing quadrants at a time is still the way to go for you, rolling the flanks. Reserve shenanigans are still a great tool for the Tau Empire. Consider an Autarch ally and an Aegis Defense line for him to fire from. You can even get your very own Eldar Scatter Bikes that way, and they never suck.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby waffles » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:26 am

VeiledMalice wrote:No, the Stormsurge cannot overwatch, even with the addition of CDS, because that piece of wargear does not override the "Gargantuan Creatures cannot overwatch" limitation. The only superheavy/Gargantuan I know of that can is the Tau'nar, and that's only with the specialized weapon system.

So the 7th edition BRB (big rule book) now over-rides codexes? Awesome! A lot less hassle with rules over ridden left and right.

Thank you very much!
waffles
Lieutenant

Postby VeiledMalice » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:01 am

waffles wrote:
VeiledMalice wrote:No, the Stormsurge cannot overwatch, even with the addition of CDS, because that piece of wargear does not override the "Gargantuan Creatures cannot overwatch" limitation. The only superheavy/Gargantuan I know of that can is the Tau'nar, and that's only with the specialized weapon system.

So the 7th edition BRB (big rule book) now over-rides codexes? Awesome! A lot less hassle with rules over ridden left and right.

Thank you very much!

That's... not what I said at all. In fact, that's the opposite of what I said.

Codexes can indeed override the base book, and quite regularly do, with rules and wargear that allow models to selectively ignore things from the BRB, it's just that the CDS is not one of them.

I'm not really sure what you were reading there.
VeiledMalice
Sergeant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:15 am

Agreed. The Codex trumps the Main Rulebook. However there is nothing in that wargear allowing them to actually make Overwatch shots. Only that when making overwatch shots, it is at a better BS.

Which is never since they can't fire overwatch.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Chexmix » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:25 am

Unorthodoxy wrote:there is nothing in that wargear allowing them to actually make Overwatch shots. Only that when making overwatch shots, it is at a better BS.

+1. I was trying to think of a way to explain it but you beat me to it.

Also... Welcome back, Waffles!
Chexmix
Major

Return to Rules Discussions