WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Tau drones and scoring

Do not feed the trolls.

Tau drones and scoring

Postby tautnt » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:53 am

With the new tau formations out drones have become quite intriguing. The problem is that codex tau empire states drones are non scoring. Does anyone know if this has been faq'd or changed somewhere.
tautnt
Lieutenant

Re: Tau drones and scoring

Postby Unorthodoxy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:29 am

DETACHED drones are non scoring.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby tautnt » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:41 pm

That makes more sense but where does it specify only detached drones are non scoring as aposed to just drones? Either way that stinks I like my detached drones and I had plans for bringing hundreds of them. (Piranha stream wing)
tautnt
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:11 pm

tautnt wrote:That makes more sense but where does it specify only detached drones are non scoring as aposed to just drones? Either way that stinks I like my detached drones and I had plans for bringing hundreds of them. (Piranha stream wing)

Yes, well...

I don't know which codex you are using, since they augmented and did not strictly speaking replace the codex. So if you own the NEW codex book, which is the one I am looking at, its the very first thing they tell you about Drones on page 120:

A unit comprised entirely of Drones is a non-scoring unit. Drones do not have the Bulky Special Rule

So really, even an XV-01 Drone Natwork and so on would not score. Only Drones purchased as upgrades to a unit can score.

Interestingly, they no longer "die" when their controller does. I mistakenly removed one the other night when I was fighting Matt. But actually the Drone would have stayed on the Objective and been scoring because it was purchased from by a Broadside. Oops. Good to know.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby tautnt » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:44 pm

I missed this post. This is useful information. I definitely didn't but the new dex after buying kayoun and mont'ka. Interesting that there was a discrepancy GW is usually so good at this stuff.I think large drone armies are still a viable option. Just not for the most important part of a game. Scoring. Thanks for your reply.
tautnt
Lieutenant

Return to Rules Discussions