WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Doctrine Imperatives and Blind

Do not feed the trolls.

Doctrine Imperatives and Blind

Postby Shadowzilla » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:06 am

Not sure how these interact. Say I use the +2WS -1BS doctrine for the skitarii. Then one of my units is blinded. Formerly they had a WS of 6 due to the doctrine (4+2=6). Now what do they have WS 1(4+2=6 blind makes it 1) or WS 3 (4, blind makes it 1, 1+2=3)? Blind reduces the models WS to 1 does that include buffs, are there time stamps or layering effects in 40k? Or how about this what if they are blinded on my opponents turn and then I use the before mentioned doctrine to increase WS by 2?

Please quote rules. I also don't have my Skitarii codex in front of me but ill put up the doctrine wording when I get home.
Shadowzilla
Major

Re: Doctrine Imperatives and Blind

Postby wbwalker88 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:40 am

Blind - "if the test is failed, all models are reduced to WS and BS 1 until the end of their next turn..."

That is the only relevant rule because the book does not touch on the order of which bonuses are added or subtracted, if they are stamped on or layering effects...that's the "narrative" you have to forge, I guess.

To me it's the order which they were put on the unit. If you used your canticle and added +2BS and then I blinded you, it would be reduced to 1. If I blinded you and then you used the canticle, then it's 3. At least that is how I would play it.
wbwalker88
Lieutenant

Postby Shadowzilla » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:54 am

That is what makes sense to me as well. Basically applying time stamps to each occurrence so they are layered according to when they happened.

Anyone else want to weigh in?
Shadowzilla
Major

Postby Techpriest Enginseer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:33 pm

Doctrina Imperatives happen at the beginning of the controlling players movement phase. Blind last through a players turn. I have to agree with the timestamp layering.

It makes sense from a narrative standpoint as well. The Mechanicus Magos handler is forcing the skitarii to use targetting data outside of the usual due to them being blinded.
Ave Deus Mechanicus
Techpriest Enginseer
Corporal

Postby Unorthodoxy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:39 pm

The rulebook addresses this I believe. Read your main rule book. the answer, I think is in the very beginning of that hallowed tome.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Techpriest Enginseer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:06 pm

If I'm reading what you referred to correctly..

multiplier math goes like this.. multipliers first, then additions or subtractions, then set values. This makes it TERRIBLY simple... if your blinded, your ws and bs are 1..set value trumps all modifiers.

Seems to be verified by the example given in the rulebook under "multiple modifiers" .. good looking out ;)
Ave Deus Mechanicus
Techpriest Enginseer
Corporal

Postby Shadowzilla » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:23 am

Well shoot and here I thought fluffyness was coming through.
Shadowzilla
Major

Return to Rules Discussions