WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Minor Adjustments to Black Aggro - Gatecrash

Minor Adjustments to Black Aggro - Gatecrash

Postby Purgatus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:54 am

So I've been looking at the spoilers coming out, and of course along with everyone else I'm thinking about what options this opens up.

I have long been interested in the Orzhov guild, and I currently play Black based Red splashed Aggro (RB Zombies).

I have not taken the plunge and bought Thundermaws, but I do run a fairly standard build of Gravecrawlers, Diregrafs, Cacklers, Messengers, 3x Falkenrath and 3x Hellrider. It's fast and mean, and has the potential to simply run over a control deck if they don't get a good draw. But what makes the deck really interesting, and what is a bit underappreciated about the deck, is Blood Artist. Blood Artist is essentially a free morbid triggered Extort, and it can provide an edge in many matchups that go a bit longer.

Thragtusk, Centaur Healer and Rox Faithmender really are a challenge for this deck to handle. Fortunately, Skullcrack is the perfect tool to address this problem. Skullcrack even makes me think again about running Bump in the Nights. In any case, it can prevent that critical Thragtusk trigger that puts the game out of reach when they are otherwise dead meat.

The Thrull Parasite is a really, really interesting new card. It's a one drop in black, so immediately warrants attention. It is the only one drop with Extort so far that I'm aware of, which is intriguing. Extort is obviously best when it comes onto the table early, and when you run a deck full of low CMC spells such that you can afford to pay the extra mana, and where you are not trying to leave mana open for other purposes. Aggro seems to fit the bill nicely. One of the very powerful things about Geralf's messenger is it's ability to smack your opponent for 2 immediately upon arrival. Obviously this is made even better when it comes back once after death. Now we can add a half-smack to every card we play for a mana.

Now, Geralf's Messenger is obviously a great target for sacrifice with a Falkenrath Aristocrat, especially if you have a blood artist out. When it comes back it deals 2 more to your opponent, your Aristocrat is indestructable, etc. There are many plays that involve attacking with your Messenger, then sacrificing him for an additional 2 or even 3 damage, which is quite a burst. Now imagine you have a Thrull Parasite on the table. You can sacrifice the Messenger. It dies and comes back, dealing 2 damage. You tap the Parasite, removing the +1+1 counter. You sacrifice the Messenger, it comes back with another counter. With a Blood Artist on the table you've just dealt 6 unblockable damage to your opponent without spending any mana.

That might not seem like "that" much, but when you consider that you could potentially do this every turn, and that you can "burst" this unblockable damage in addition to whatever you are actually "paying" to do like a Falkenrath, or a Brimstone Volley, or whatever, it's pretty powerful.

Just thinking out loud here. Undying creatures are just a heck of a lot nastier when you can pull their counters off over, and over, and over again.
Purgatus
Lieutenant

Re: Minor Adjustments to Black Aggro - Gatecrash

Postby Chexmix » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:47 am

Yeah, thats one of the first things I thought of when I saw the spoiler for that card (the one-drop Extort/Token Remover). Undying creatures will be just that much nastier.
Chexmix
Major

Re: Minor Adjustments to Black Aggro - Gatecrash

Postby Purgatus » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Gruul's guild-mage is much, much better in a vacuum, but having something else be better doesn't make this one bad.
Purgatus
Lieutenant

Return to Magic The Gathering