WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Doing Well with my Rakdos

Doing Well with my Rakdos

Postby Purgatus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:44 pm

This is the actual deck I took to a 3-0 at Exalted Games last Friday.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/suicide- ... 4-10-12-1/
Purgatus
Lieutenant

Re: Doing Well with my Rakdos

Postby Chexmix » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:23 pm

That is a fine looking deck.

Why is Vampire nighthawk sideboarded rather than mainboarded?
Chexmix
Major

Postby Purgatus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:26 pm

Because this deck is fundamentally an aggro deck with some mid-game legs, and nighthawk is not really an aggro card. He would swap out for Geralf or possibly some of the one drops in order to counter beefcake flyers. He turns the deck into more of a slog than a burn.

I like the card a LOT, and I think you could build a mid-range deck around him basically, but that's not this deck.

I'm open to your thoughts though. Where would you slot him?
Purgatus
Lieutenant

Postby Purgatus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Purgatus wrote:Because this deck is fundamentally an aggro deck with some mid-game legs, and nighthawk is not really an aggro card. He would swap out for Geralf or possibly some of the one drops in order to counter beefcake flyers. He turns the deck into more of a slog than a burn.

I think you can make an awesome midrange beatdown deck around him with black white or black green.

I like the card a LOT, and I think you could build a mid-range deck around him basically, but that's not this deck.

I'm open to your thoughts though. Where would you slot him?
Purgatus
Lieutenant

Postby Chexmix » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:46 pm

I would put him in over Essence Harvest, tbh. Harvest is great with a Desecration Demon/aristocrat out but other than that is kinda "meh" for 3 mana. Nighthawk also costs 3 and gives you life thanks to lifelink, so it fills the same gap in the decklist but is a little more reliable.

But really, your deck is great as-is. I am just a nighthawk fanboy (it really is a fantastic card).
Chexmix
Major

Postby Purgatus » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:59 am

I actually dropped the Desecration Demons for now, which means the Essence Harvests are a lot less desirable.

I played like 6 games against a G/W weenie deck last night that kept thrashing me with Thalia. He kept getting two or even THREE copies out, and basically I couldn't cast anything.

Then this morning I realized that Thalia is legendary, and he was totally cheating (probably on accident). Lol. I don't feel so bad for getting stomped now.

Reanimator seems to be a huge threat right now, so I am going to be taking out my Rakdos Cacklers and Mainboarding 4x Vile Rebirths and sideboarding 4 x Cremates. I don't want to put in graveyard hate that doesn't actively help me, and these two cards give me good things as well as instant speed graveyard exile.

After dropping the Essence Harvests, I put in the Nighthawks mainboard. Check it out and let me know what you think:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/suicide- ... 4-10-12-1/

You know me, I like switching things up and seeing what works and what doesn't.
Purgatus
Lieutenant

Postby Chexmix » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:48 am

Purgatus wrote:I played like 6 games against a G/W weenie deck last night that kept thrashing me with Thalia. He kept getting two or even THREE copies out, and basically I couldn't cast anything.

Then this morning I realized that Thalia is legendary, and he was totally cheating (probably on accident). Lol. I don't feel so bad for getting stomped now.

I was going to bring up the Legendary rule, but it looks like you beat me to it ;)

What a dirty cheater. But we all make mistakes :P

I love the addition of Bump in the Night, that is one of my favorite black sorceries for this block. Having a flashback cost makes it just that more versatile when you have nothing else to play.

I like the deck, quite a bit. We should set up a game sometime, this week or next!
Chexmix
Major

Postby Purgatus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:36 pm

I played another set against a very well constructed Gavony Township GW Aggro deck.

Very, very tough for my deck to beat. Tools like Mizzium Mortars and Killing Wave would probably help. Burn might help to simply do my damage faster and close out the game. Flames of the Firebrand can shut down multiple weenies before they get huge.

I'm doing the FNM at Exalted Games tonight at 7, we'll see how it goes.
Purgatus
Lieutenant

Postby Kingpin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:32 am

I went to the draft at OCC on Friday night and pulled a Jace. Thats how you win a draft :-)
Matt should be around here somewhere...lurking...
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Postby Chexmix » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:59 am

Kingpin wrote:I went to the draft at OCC on Friday night and pulled a Jace. Thats how you win a draft :-)

Way to go!
Chexmix
Major

Next

Return to Magic The Gathering