WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Doing Well with my Rakdos

Re: Doing Well with my Rakdos

Postby Purgatus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:20 am

I never did give the recap of the FNM.

I was 3-0 going into the fourth round. I played against a very fast and aggressive RDW, and simply could not keep up with less than ideal draws. He was too fast.

So I'm 3-1 going into the last round against reanimator. I win the first match easily and quickly (he stalled and I'm aggro, GG). Second game I side in my reanimator hate, including my Vile Rebirths.

It's the fourth turn, and I have four mana and a Falkenrath Aristocrat in hand. I also have a Blood artist and a Vile Rebirth. He has a Gristlebrand in his graveyard. Easy to see I should have cast the Blood Artist and sat on the mana for the Vile Rebirth, and cast it if he taps out for a Unburial Rites. I cast the Falkenrath instead, being dumb.

He drops his land, casts Unburial Rites. I groan. Now he has Gristlebrand.

Next turn I attack with my Falkenrath, sac a critter to her. He blocks with Gristlebrand. I Searing Spear Gristlebrand for the kill.

His turn, he flashbacks Unburial Rites.

Brutal.

That game was mine to lose, and I did.

Game three I had a slow start, and just couldn't keep up during the long-game.

I ended coming in 6th with a 3-2 record. It was a fun night.
Purgatus
Lieutenant

Postby Chexmix » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:32 am

Brutal game. Sounds like you did pretty well overall, though. I hate playing against griselbrand >_<
Chexmix
Major

Postby Purgatus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:31 am

It was frustrating, because I had that win in the bag.

I would have forced him to waste a turn tapping out for unburial, and then exiled his Griselbrand, getting a 2/2 zombie in the process, and putting Blood Artist on the board. I had a gravecrawler out too. On my turn I would have then swung for 8 damage with the zombies and the Falkenrath, and the sacced out to the Blood Artist for the win. Just poor play on my part.

I am getting better though, it's all practice.
Purgatus
Lieutenant

Postby Chexmix » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:42 am

Purgatus wrote:It was frustrating, because I had that win in the bag.

I would have forced him to waste a turn tapping out for unburial, and then exiled his Griselbrand, getting a 2/2 zombie in the process, and putting Blood Artist on the board. I had a gravecrawler out too. On my turn I would have then swung for 8 damage with the zombies and the Falkenrath, and the sacced out to the Blood Artist for the win. Just poor play on my part.

I am getting better though, it's all practice.

I make mistakes like that far more than I would like. At the recent Commander tournament, I had a Platinum Angel out and was at -8 life (it was keeping me from losing the game). I also had Swiftfoot Boots out along with the mana to equip them, but decided to save the boots for when I was going to play Kaalia of the Vast next turn. Of course Platinum Angel gets hit with a removal spell, on the next player turn and I lose.
Chexmix
Major

Postby Purgatus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:30 pm

It's one thing to know your own deck, it's quite another to learn THEIR deck, and to see what their play is going to be based upon what cards they are likely running, how much mana they are going to have available next turn, etc.

Sheesh, it's enough to give you a headache...

...of SHEER NERD JOY!

Heh.
Purgatus
Lieutenant

Postby Rage » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:46 pm

Are we talking Exalted Games in Tacoma? I stopped by there today to check it out, thinking I might check out their draft next Wednesday.
Rage
Corporal

Postby Purgatus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:54 pm

Yup, that's the one. They seem to have an opposite schedule of OCC, which does Standard on Wednesdays and Draft on Fridays. I really like Exalted games, it's a nice clean little shop with a nice couple that runs it. OCC will always be my nerd home thought... :D

I go to Exalted on Fridays because that's the night I can play and I prefer to play Standard for now.
Purgatus
Lieutenant

Postby Rage » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Well then, I might head over on Friday. I haven't much experience with standard, but I've certainly got enough cards to work something up. What time do things usually kick off/when to they finish?
Rage
Corporal

Postby Purgatus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:57 pm

They do one at 4 and one at seven. They both fill up quickly so you have to call early in the day to get on the list. The four o'clock one is only three rounds and is smaller and more casual. The seven o'clock one is five rounds and I saw a lot of competitive players there.
Purgatus
Lieutenant

Postby Purgatus » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:56 pm

I attended the early FNM yesterday and went 3-0, winning my three matches with a perfect 2-0 record for each. I tied with someone who apparently also had a perfect win record, so we split the first place monies.

Yeehaw.
Purgatus
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Magic The Gathering