WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Painting tutorials?

Please share your ideas and questions about painting and modeling or post pics of your cool mods or paint jobs.

Painting tutorials?

Postby MaximusPrime79 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:54 pm

Since my camo painting tutorial was so well received I was curious to see if anyone had anymore interest in me possibly making a few more... Was thinking a tutorial on some basic stuff might help newer people... Like wet pallette vs dry and paletteing your paint brush etc...

Any interest?
Max
the long time player and Tau newbie
MaximusPrime79
Sergeant

Re: Painting tutorials?

Postby Unorthodoxy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:39 pm

Yip
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby tautnt » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:47 pm

Yes please
tautnt
Lieutenant

Postby MaximusPrime79 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Ok... Will do... Anything in particular that anyone has any interest in knowing more about? Color combos? Washes/shades/glazes? Painting metals? Anything in particular?
Max
MaximusPrime79
Sergeant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:42 am

airbrush's
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby MaximusPrime79 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:26 am

I can do an airbrush tutorial but that is getting into more advanced painting that frankly... unless you have the basics of using a brush... probably don't need to fuss with an airbrush yet... An airbrush is great for large area coverage and blending work... but the model is always finished with a brush... Small details and finishing touches and edge highlights are always done with a brush...

The big inconvenience I have at the moment with doing an airbrush tutorial is the weather is too cold... Here in WA.. and in particular where I live surrounded by so much water... the ambient moisture level is ridiculously high all of the time... What that does is it makes the air compressor pick up and spit a lot of water out of the air house... So until I can a second hose and moisture trap to set up an appropriate air system at my house my air brush is out of commission... I don't like doing fantastic work on a model only to have it get completely f'ed up from a blob of water spitting out of my air hose onto the model... making the wet paint that was just perfectly applied now have a runny water spot that will run under my masking...

So its in the cue Josef... but probably will not be seeing it for a few months and after I have covered some other basics...

Any other requests...
Max
MaximusPrime79
Sergeant

Postby tautnt » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:41 am

shading for sure. Also any advice on washes would definitely be welcomed.
tautnt
Lieutenant

Postby DylanGould » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:23 am

Regarding airbrushing, condensation in the lines caused by the cooling of the air is the cause of the water in the air flow. Humidity effects the *amount* of condensate, but is not the cause. An expansion chamber helps, as does a filter.

I use custom rig with dual expansion chambers, and have never had so much as a sputter from my airbrush...never even had any condensate even make it to the pistol-grip filter. Thermodynamics and pneumatics for the win!
DylanGould
Lieutenant

Postby Techpriest Enginseer » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:45 am

please explain how you defeated this beast...

seriously, what's your set up and such? is it repeatable?
Ave Deus Mechanicus
Techpriest Enginseer
Corporal

Postby DylanGould » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:50 am

Techpriest Enginseer wrote:please explain how you defeated this beast...seriously, what's your set up and such? is it repeatable?

Here's a blog post about my rig. If you already have a setup and just want to help the condensation, the important part would be to set up a filter then an air tank between your compressor and your airbrush line.

The easiest thing, though, would be to get the pistol grip filter. Hobby Lobby carries them and the adapters for a couple brands.
DylanGould
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Painting/Modeling/Bragging