WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Painting Cookie Dough Camo

Please share your ideas and questions about painting and modeling or post pics of your cool mods or paint jobs.

Painting Cookie Dough Camo

Postby MaximusPrime79 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:23 pm

So... It took me a bit to finally get the bit of painting done to take all of the pics to explain how I paint the camo on all of my tau stuff... Veiled Malice asked me to explain it better so I broke it down into pictures... I decided instead of just painting it on my practice model this would give me the drive and excuse to push on into painting my stormsurge... So these are the pics of the process on its thigh pads...

First off I always primer in black... The biggest reason for it being if you paint over black appropriately it can give you black lining that you don't have to do later or can easily clean and straighten...

I also paint using a wet palette like this...

So after primer the first layer is your base... you paint this on as solid as you can... using a wet palette with thinned down paint it can take a couple of coats to go over the black... especially for lighter colors... you can also use this effect to get darker looking models as well... For my camo on this step I used Shadow Grey...

And if you notice I am trying to be clean but I am not going back and fixing where I painted over my black lining... you can fix this later in another step... the less your cleaning your brush and changing paints... the less time your wasting and also less damage your doing to your brush...

Next step is to apply the second layer in the camo and the first layer of the patterning... This camo pattern usually works best if the first two layers are the most contrasting in color of the colors you select... I prefer the way it looks using a lighter base color and a really dark second layer...

This layer is applied in a linear pattern across the model trying to create a grain... Painting on wedge shapes that look kind of like cat claw scratch marks combined with smaller rock shaped dots in the more open spaces on the base color... In this case I am using Charred Brown...

The third layer in the camo is then applied over the top of the second layer and almost exclusively only on the second layer... keeping your base color exposed... It looks best if you apply the third layer in the camo using a watered down semi transparent mixture... and usually in a color that is in a value that is some where between how dark and light the base and first color are... In this case I use a brown grey color... storm vermin fur... You start off by picking a top edge on all of your second layer shape pattern... you then line that top edge with a watered down mixture and let it dry a bit.... then continue to build down shapes off that top edge that look like rocks... you can also scatter in a few dots of this color on your base but it looks best when applied to the darker second later... this creates the ghost shadowing from the camo... Again... this layer is in storm vermin fur...

If you notice I also used it to highlight parts of the solid panels without camo on the model... keeping all of my colors for hightlights etc inside the same color family as my camo so it blends...

The next step is now to clean up all of your black lines... Then to add your rock shapes to shadow your final layer of paint... I usually paint these black dot shapes in groups of threes or fives as they tend to look better... I also try to do one larger rock than the rest in each group... In this step I also trying to speckle in a handful of really small dots of black to create more color tone and detail on certain parts...

again this step is just abbadon black...

And the last and final layer is to now paint in your rock shapes over your large black rock rock shapes... When painting these shapes on you want to paint over the black completely up to the top edge but leave a line of the black underneath to create a shadow line... And your want to do this on as many of the larger rock shapes you made... even the smallerish ones... it pays off and really adds to the effect of the camo...

This stage is done in ghost grey...

And that is it... There are a few other bits I painted along the way in this project after I made some decisions about what colors some of the metallic bits and solid panels ended up....

And one last pic of all the paints I used in the camo next to the pieces... I hope this helps at least one or two of you out with creating some bitchen camo... it is a bit of work but you spend tons of money on these models and lots of time building them and using them... why not have really bitchen looking stuff to use?
Max
the long time player and Tau newbie
MaximusPrime79
Sergeant

Re: Painting Cookie Dough Camo

Postby VeiledMalice » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:32 pm

Man, all this makes me ashamed I'm not yet done applying the second base coat on my Riptide. >_>

But seriously, that's great. I've heard of that before, using two colors on top of one another to make camo patterns, but not step by step. Fantastic work, Max.
VeiledMalice
Sergeant

Postby Chexmix » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:20 am

Great work! Thanks for the tutorial.
Chexmix
Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:15 am

easy to follow instructions. Good times.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby MaximusPrime79 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:08 pm

You guys are welcome and I hope it helps... Camo looks so good on models but people are so hesitant to even try to paint it... And thank you for the compliments...
Max
the long time player and Tau newbie
MaximusPrime79
Sergeant

Return to Painting/Modeling/Bragging