WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Who Lurks in the shadows? UPDATED PICS!

Please share your ideas and questions about painting and modeling or post pics of your cool mods or paint jobs.

Re: Who Lurks in the shadows?

Postby Unorthodoxy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:08 pm

Chappy wrote:
Unorthodoxy wrote:Black trim? Can you expand on that?

I do have some static grass thats easy to add.

Yeah. The bottom of the base should be black. Keep the snow and the static grass on the surface of the base, but the rim should be black in my opinion. Or green, or brown; depending on the basing material.

And don't use static grass out of a tub. Use the pre-clumped stuff from Army Painter or GW. It looks much more pro and is easier to apply.

Yes, I use Army Painter ones. I'm still confused though. Why the black stripe? I'm having a hard time imagining what that adds? It currently appears they are standing on arctic ice. I'm no painter so you have to explain it to me
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby MaximusPrime79 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:50 pm

The reason for the black edging on the bottoms of the base is it makes the base edge way easier for game play and it give the model a more finished look on the table... like even the edges of the bases were thought about and handled to make the more look more finished and professional... it is totally a personal preference thing... but I honestly agree... I think models just look way better if even the base edge has been taken into account and painted black...
Max
the long time player and Tau newbie
MaximusPrime79
Sergeant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:44 pm

So essentially... more finished look. Is that the gist? And what color would match the best? Black? The bases are arctic blue type resin color.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Chappy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:38 pm

Unorthodoxy wrote:So essentially... more finished look. Is that the gist? And what color would match the best? Black? The bases are arctic blue type resin color.

Black. For your army, black would look cool.
Wherever and whenever they appear they leave only destruction in their wake; they are the Lords of Death, Bringers of War. They are the Dark Angels.
Chappy
Sergeant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:53 pm

So let me try a black base on one of them then. i will post what that looks like. Then you can tell me if it is adding or subtracting. I own like 20 of these so i can addord to play around with one without fear of "screwing it up" too badly.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby DylanGould » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:41 pm

Photoshop it. Also try Enchanted Blue, or whatever GW is calling it nowadays.
DylanGould
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:21 pm

DylanGould wrote:Photoshop it. Also try Enchanted Blue, or whatever GW is calling it nowadays.

Those two colors are pretty far apart. What's the thinking behind the blue vs. black?

And as for photoshop you might say I'm 100% unfamiliar with that programs inner workings...
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby DylanGould » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:51 pm

Disregard the Enchanted, the real world doesn't match the color chart I downloaded.

The color I recommend is shooting for the same color the painter used to line the armor...a mix of Sombre Grey and Dark Blue (both from the Vallejo Game Color line, which matches colors from the previous GW range) will get you in the right band.

You cannot hide the fact that the models are standing on a base, unless you use an uber-thin base. They can look cool on a matching display tray, but once you put them on the table, they just stand out. The dark ring provides contrast for the mini without clashing with the table; using colors in the same part of the wheel as colors on the mini help the eyes to compare the mini to the base instead of comparing the mini to the table.

Black is the default for many because it provides contrast with almost any color, it doesn't clash with any table colors, and we are accustomed to seeing black bases.
DylanGould
Lieutenant

Postby Chexmix » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:53 pm

I think black base edges would add quite a bit to the overall look of the army. I wouldn't do blue base edges but that's just me (I don't like colored base edges at all).
Chexmix
Major

Postby DylanGould » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:05 pm

snow tau bases.png
snow tau bases.png (590.39 KiB) Viewed 227 times
DylanGould
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Painting/Modeling/Bragging