WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Tau painting project

Please share your ideas and questions about painting and modeling or post pics of your cool mods or paint jobs.

Re: Tau painting project

Postby Techpriest Enginseer » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:20 pm

Seriously? You got pics?

It seems the price point for painting is all over the place... I have been trying to decipher a workable formula.

From what I have seen.. Horror stories abound of overly expensive paint jobs that fail to meet the clients expectations. Can't recall seeing more than one or 2 "my army was painted beautifully for a reasonable cost" and those were in the ads for the company.

You can reasonably expect to pay the price of the model again for just base colors. Shades and highlights and you can be looking at double or even triple the cost of the model itself. (Seriously, $20 EACH for infantry models.... on the flipside, look at a skitarri vanguard or ranger ..4$each cost but having assembled and painted a squad, the 20$ per doesn't seem out of line) It seems demand far outstrips supply therefore inflating the prices, even for mediocre work.
Ave Deus Mechanicus
Techpriest Enginseer
Corporal

Postby Dogstar34 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:51 am

As someone who regularly completes commission work, I would offer the following advice to anyone who is willing to pay to have their models painted:

Look at their work before you agree to anything, preferably in person. I always bring a selection of my own models when first meeting a client, just to say 'this is what I can do'.

Discuss the project before agreeing to anything. Have an idea in your mind of what you want the model(s) to look like, what colors you want or what you want it to match, what you want the base to look like, any conversions or freehand, etc. I always take notes and then show them to confirm this is what the client wants.

I give updates once a week, usually on Monday. Even if I haven't made much progress, it shows the client 'hey, I haven't forgotten about you'. If there's a due date, I work out ahead of time what I want to be done at a week in, 2 weeks in, a month in, etc.

I think its a bad idea to pay the artist in advance. I usually ask for 10% up front, which helps fund any special items I might need. The rest is the carrot I use to motivate myself to finish the job!
Dogstar34
Conscript

Postby Unorthodoxy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:19 am

Dogstar34 wrote:As someone who regularly completes commission work, I would offer the following advice to anyone who is willing to pay to have their models painted:

Look at their work before you agree to anything, preferably in person. I always bring a selection of my own models when first meeting a client, just to say 'this is what I can do'.

Discuss the project before agreeing to anything. Have an idea in your mind of what you want the model(s) to look like, what colors you want or what you want it to match, what you want the base to look like, any conversions or freehand, etc. I always take notes and then show them to confirm this is what the client wants.

I give updates once a week, usually on Monday. Even if I haven't made much progress, it shows the client 'hey, I haven't forgotten about you'. If there's a due date, I work out ahead of time what I want to be done at a week in, 2 weeks in, a month in, etc.

I think its a bad idea to pay the artist in advance. I usually ask for 10% up front, which helps fund any special items I might need. The rest is the carrot I use to motivate myself to finish the job!

I saw his previous work and it was fine. He's going to make it right. We've talked and I am going to get the models back to him so he can do them again. No one is rich around here and can afford to throw ridiculous money at projects, good or not. I did this because I really really wanted to field a cool Stingwing/Stealthsuit army. I love the arctic theme and want my models to reflect it. My Stingwings are already Blue with frosty kinda details and most of the rest of my Tau force is white, but I was going for a "night" color originally with the stealthsuits and so had done them in Hawk Turquoise. I actually liked their look, but it just wasn't consistent with my Arctic theme. So after years of fighting myself over it i finally asked someone for help in painting them and you can imagine, after all my previous hesitation, how this kinda felt.

Anywho, I know this guy will make it right. So i am gonna' just ride this out and see if we can't get it looking like a winner.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Chexmix » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:41 am

Unorthodoxy wrote:I recendly has a small commission done. Very disappointed. They weren't even completed beyond three color standard. No shading, hilighting or nothing. Just striped the model with two colors, added an accent in some places and was done. $200. A little upset about this.

Dang, for $200 there should have at least been a wash and small highlights along with more varied coloring. Glad to hear it will be made right.
Chexmix
Major

Postby Deign » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:25 pm

Tautnt, if you still need help moving along with painting let me know. The models that you saw today are a fair example of the level I usually paint to, and getting them there (with a few tricks doesnt take long at all) minus basing because I havent finished painting the skitarii. I am currently helping another friend out with painting his tau (mostly battlesuit) army, but after I finish that I would be happy to help you. How much do you have to paint?
Deign
Corporal

Postby tautnt » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:42 pm

Well right now I'm looking at re doing my battlesuit collection. 19 xv8's (one is the old farsight model), 3 riptides, and 6 broadsides. I'm sure as soon as the new tau models drop I'll be adding to that list.
tautnt
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:37 pm

Ho man... those Stormsurges are going to cost so much money. My bet is $160 apiece.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby tautnt » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:41 pm

Yeah chances are I'll be waiting on that one. I'm most excited for the ghostkeel. I think the model looks awesome. I don't even care if it sucks I'm going to play it. Haha.
tautnt
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:40 pm

So. I want to give you a Piranha. In return i wish for an awesome and useable city ruin you can get your hands in, that is tall enough for a dread to stand in and wide enough for a unit of Marines to spread out in. I obviously want it to looks awesome at the same time.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby MaximusPrime79 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:29 pm

Lol... Wrong thread Josef?
Max
the long time player and Tau newbie
MaximusPrime79
Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Painting/Modeling/Bragging