WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Tyranid WIP

Please share your ideas and questions about painting and modeling or post pics of your cool mods or paint jobs.

Tyranid WIP

Postby wbwalker88 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:44 pm

So I've decided just to make a single thread for my adventures in making a Tyranid Hive Fleet. To start things off, I recently found a great idea on Dakka: Tyrannocytes out of upside down pineapples. Saw someone on Dakka do this and it got me interested. I felt like his end product though was not as Tyranid-y as I would like so I'm going to work on my own. This project is a few weeks out from having me be able to really commit to it (I have sooo many 'Nids on my painting table and a few ahead in the queue for converting/building) but here is the before picture non the less. Any ideas on how to spruce these up and make look like giant living organisms are welcomed!
Attachments
image-10.jpeg
image-10.jpeg (205.35 KiB) Viewed 811 times
wbwalker88
Lieutenant

Re: Tyranid WIP

Postby wbwalker88 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Spent some time converting one of my pineapples today because I plan on using it Friday for a game. I have quite a ways to go and unfortunately wont finish by Friday but it should be getting there. Anyways, let me know what y'all think, is it beginning to look enough like a Tyrannocyte?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (201.28 KiB) Viewed 783 times
wbwalker88
Lieutenant

Postby MaximusPrime79 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:19 pm

I think your biggest challenge your gonna face in this Brian is to get enough recognizeable (sp) but abstract detail that is small enough in scale to really give the model a presence for what it is supposed to be on the table... I think its doable and your on the right track with putting the bits on it...
Max
the long time player and Tau newbie
MaximusPrime79
Sergeant

Postby wbwalker88 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:32 pm

You are absolutely right. I need to find carapace pieces the fit the model and are long/skinny enough to make the pineapple part look like organic material once painted, and to give depth to the model. I think once I do that, it'll be about adding little spikes and bits to make things "pop". Definately have my work cut out for me, but it's shaping up to be a fun project...and as long as I don't go too crazy on bits itll be a fraction of the cost of a GW tyrannocyte.

Edit- just bought some tyrannocyte carapace bits for less than $5 so we'll see how they look / if it'll be enough to give the depth I'm looking for.
wbwalker88
Lieutenant

Postby MaximusPrime79 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:49 pm

Score... I look forward to more progress pics....
Max
the long time player and Tau newbie
MaximusPrime79
Sergeant

Postby wbwalker88 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:23 pm

So what do y'all think? I'd say its pretty close to cleaning up some flash, sanding some epoxy putty and priming.
Attachments
image-2.jpeg
image-2.jpeg (121.42 KiB) Viewed 751 times
image-3.jpeg
image-3.jpeg (138.16 KiB) Viewed 751 times
wbwalker88
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:41 am

This pleases me. this work must continue unabated to it's logical conclusion.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby wbwalker88 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:47 pm

Priming will happen this week. Any suggestions on last minute tweak from the peanut gallery?
wbwalker88
Lieutenant

Postby Techpriest Enginseer » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:23 pm

just comparing it to the images online I would say this more than passes muster, possible suggestions (from the peanut gallery) , perhaps a few smaller tentacles near the bottom "fronds" to blend for a bit more jellyfish like appearance. And the models online seem to have tube like protruberances on the very top, like a crown..maybe green stuff sculpted a bit on drinking straws?

Looks sharp, gonna really come together with paint :o
Ave Deus Mechanicus
Techpriest Enginseer
Corporal

Postby wbwalker88 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:09 pm

I like the suggestions, the extra tentacles would be easy enough and help make the ones on there not look so random... the 5 of everything needs to be broken up a bit.

As for the top, I tried to sculpt something and I tried to kit bash something together...all I ended up creating was what looked like an angry vagina... which I mean isn't too far from what the thing actually is...but I wasn't a huge fan. I appreciate the suggestion and maybe for the second one I will try again. I still have two more to make and I'm going to try and make them all unique in one way or another.

As always, I appreciate the feedback. When we going to get another game in? I almost have 80 Termagaunts painted and a fluffy endless swarm mission would be a lot of fun to play against your guard once everything is painted... great bat rap too!
wbwalker88
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Painting/Modeling/Bragging