WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Stripping Plastics

Please share your ideas and questions about painting and modeling or post pics of your cool mods or paint jobs.

Stripping Plastics

Postby wbwalker88 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:51 pm

So I just received my new Tyranid army and it needs A LOT of TLC. I'm pretty comfortable stripping the metal as nail polish remover will do the trick and not damage the models. But ive ever stripped plastic. I've done a little research but I wanted the community that I trust to give their insights... What is the best way to strip plastic models? Also what's the best way to remove old dried and crappy super glue (modeling knife?)?
wbwalker88
Lieutenant

Re: Stripping Plastics

Postby Chexmix » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:14 pm

I soak plastic models in undiluted Simple Green for 24 hours then scrub them with a toothbrush. You can buy the stuff at Fred Meyer or Costco by the gallon, and it works great!

Simple Green also helps dissolve dried-on super glue.
Chexmix
Major

Postby DylanGould » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:56 am

Agreed on the Simple Green. It will make the superglue pretty brittle, so count on having to replace it.
DylanGould
Lieutenant

Postby MaximusPrime79 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:15 pm

Yeah... Pretty much what they said... Only safe way to strip plastics I have discovered....
Max
the long time player and Tau newbie
MaximusPrime79
Sergeant

Postby Cyberpunk Eevee » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:12 pm

Throwing out the sonic cleaner tip. Simple green+ultrasonic cleaner, and I've gotten my firestorm armada ships to bare resin with no softening or loss of detail.
May your sails stay full, and your socks stay dry.
Cyberpunk Eevee
Conscript

Postby Unorthodoxy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:28 pm

Superclean is ten times more effective than Simple Green. Seriously impressed with it. Simple Green has done nothing but piss me off on anything that isnt metal.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby HarshRhettoric » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:44 pm

Purple Power is $5.00 per gallon and will strip nearly any model in hours. Find it in the automotive section at Wal Mart and use undiluted. While you're there, stop by sporting goods and buy a .20 ga shotgun bore brush. The brush gets deeper than a toothbrush and can be used harder, though if you really push, you can cause very light scoring on plastic that usually disappears with primer.

Oh, purple power will frequently disintegrate superglue leaving you with a wet tub of parts; especially if left a long time. Always clean models in a strainer or plug the drain in your sink.
HarshRhettoric
Conscript

Postby Unorthodoxy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:44 pm

wbwalker88 wrote:So I just received my new Tyranid army and it needs A LOT of TLC. I'm pretty comfortable stripping the metal as nail polish remover will do the trick and not damage the models. But ive ever stripped plastic. I've done a little research but I wanted the community that I trust to give their insights... What is the best way to strip plastic models? Also what's the best way to remove old dried and crappy super glue (modeling knife?)?

Super Clean. Diluted to half and half. It shreds. SOOOOME types of primer will prove resistent in which case Alcohol. Most will not resist.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Glassbroke » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:36 pm

Undiluted simple green and an electric toothbrush. Strips super fast and easy.
Glassbroke
Corporal

Postby mrmichaelcorbett » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:08 pm

I use mean green. WalMart knock off stripped two armies with it. Put em in a bucket weight the down let em sit for a week. Then scrub them clean
mrmichaelcorbett
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Painting/Modeling/Bragging