WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Introductions

Post your introductions, and general banter here.

Re: Introductions

Postby osan22 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:28 am

Welcome to the community T-800! i look forward to seeing you around.
As for your particular problem, i suggest you mainly stick to more friendly games. Less about matched play and more about narrative play. Unless you are wanting to be super competitive with your crons. I havent really taken a look at the crons myself yet, but i am sure they have some decent power. Tomorrow dan and several others will be at OCC round noon. So im sure between us we can figure out a good combination of stuff for crons
osan22
Major

Postby Morendie » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:18 am

T-800 wrote:Hey gang,

Live in Lacey and Met Adam(not sure of his screen name here) looking over the 8th Ed. stuff this afternoon at OCC and was told about the community here.

Played 40k back in the early 2000's(3rd ed.) but haven't since. Heard about AoS and then Kill Team and then Shadow War Armageddon...all sounded good and wanted to get back into it. Then heard 8th was coming out and thought this might be a good time. Really like the idea of SWA and Kill Team, as well as the new 8th rules.

After reading about the new "I'll Be Back" rolls, I mean Reanimation Protocols( I still call Pacific Raceway S.I.R.) I was pretty excited to build another Necron army...but. Just viewed a Bat Rep on Miniwargamings Vault and watched Necrons get ANIHILATED by some Grey Knights. I mean it was so bad that I am seriously thinking about skipping Necrons altogether. Maybe stick with Shadow War or Kill Team? I realize that those games will be using 7th ed. for some time, any advice for Necrons on that front? I am somewhat hardheaded and will usually field an army just because I like the models, rather than one that is popular for its success, but don't want to get murdered every time I play.

Really enjoy the painting/modeling and social aspect sides of the hobby. Was a pretty decent painter at one point...we'll see if that still holds true. Very eager to learn to play any of the games mentioned. Like to watch and learn as well.

AoS Skirmish seems VERY intriguing and I am ready to build an army for that game as well. Thinking Chaos...

I also play Pathfinder and every edition of D&D prior except 4th...wanting to try 5th ed. Have an entire Kick Starter's worth of Reaper mini's to paint, so will knock the rust off my skills on a few of those possibly.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Shane

Lol don't base it off of just 1 bat rep, I mean Necrons biggest weakness is Close Combat, and that is literally what grey knights specialize in.. That makes it a tough game.

but its all about the player and what you bring. Just because they lost in that video doesn't mean they suck. Necrons are still pretty powerful, especially if you follow the formations. And from what I saw from there last video with Necrons vs Grey knights, it was not a standard list.
As for Necrons in 8th, they will play a bit differently. RP rolls are completely changing and Gauss is removed.
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
Morendie
Lieutenant

Postby T-800 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:18 pm

osan22 wrote:Welcome to the community T-800! i look forward to seeing you around.
As for your particular problem, i suggest you mainly stick to more friendly games. Less about matched play and more about narrative play. Unless you are wanting to be super competitive with your crons. I havent really taken a look at the crons myself yet, but i am sure they have some decent power. Tomorrow dan and several others will be at OCC round noon. So im sure between us we can figure out a good combination of stuff for crons

Hey thanks!

Sorry I missed you guys, was stuck in traffic around that time. But was worth it, picked up two complete AoS Starter Sets! Guy bit off more than he could chew. One is for sale on CL, the other I will keep.
"Your clothes. Give them to me. Now."
T-800
Soldier

Postby T-800 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Morendie wrote:Lol don't base it off of just 1 bat rep, I mean Necrons biggest weakness is Close Combat, and that is literally what grey knights specialize in.. That makes it a tough game.

but its all about the player and what you bring. Just because they lost in that video doesn't mean they suck. Necrons are still pretty powerful, especially if you follow the formations. And from what I saw from there last video with Necrons vs Grey knights, it was not a standard list.
As for Necrons in 8th, they will play a bit differently. RP rolls are completely changing and Gauss is removed.

I hear you. Was just surprised, the game was essentially over after the Grey Knights first turn. Although the guy playing Necrons couldn't roll for crap.

Yeah the new RP rule is pretty sweet on paper, that's what was one of the things motivating me to take another look at the game.

Thanks for the insight.
T-800
Soldier

Postby Unorthodoxy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:33 pm

T-800 wrote:Hey gang,

Live in Lacey and Met Adam(not sure of his screen name here) looking over the 8th Ed. stuff this afternoon at OCC and was told about the community here.

Played 40k back in the early 2000's(3rd ed.) but haven't since. Heard about AoS and then Kill Team and then Shadow War Armageddon...all sounded good and wanted to get back into it. Then heard 8th was coming out and thought this might be a good time. Really like the idea of SWA and Kill Team, as well as the new 8th rules.

After reading about the new "I'll Be Back" rolls, I mean Reanimation Protocols( I still call Pacific Raceway S.I.R.) I was pretty excited to build another Necron army...but. Just viewed a Bat Rep on Miniwargamings Vault and watched Necrons get ANIHILATED by some Grey Knights. I mean it was so bad that I am seriously thinking about skipping Necrons altogether. Maybe stick with Shadow War or Kill Team? I realize that those games will be using 7th ed. for some time, any advice for Necrons on that front? I am somewhat hardheaded and will usually field an army just because I like the models, rather than one that is popular for its success, but don't want to get murdered every time I play.

Really enjoy the painting/modeling and social aspect sides of the hobby. Was a pretty decent painter at one point...we'll see if that still holds true. Very eager to learn to play any of the games mentioned. Like to watch and learn as well.

AoS Skirmish seems VERY intriguing and I am ready to build an army for that game as well. Thinking Chaos...

I also play Pathfinder and every edition of D&D prior except 4th...wanting to try 5th ed. Have an entire Kick Starter's worth of Reaper mini's to paint, so will knock the rust off my skills on a few of those possibly.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Shane

Hellow Shane, and welcome. I run a Dungeons and Dragons game twice per month that is a home game away from all the noise. We should talk.

I also run a lot of Warhammer 40,000 events in Olympia and Tacoma and have a game troom at home so PM me your number and we can talk.

I would not base anything off of a miniwargaming post. Just saying. Aside from the obvious potential for rules errors, the reality is 8th Edition TACTICS haven't truly developed and some people ARE goingto get white washed as they learn to identify what the true threats are too late. As i am sure you can appreciate, the army doesn't do the thinking for you. The adjustment perior will be real.

the good news is we can all share that pain together in glorious unremitting battle. So.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby T-800 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:52 am

Unorthodoxy wrote:
Hellow Shane, and welcome. I run a Dungeons and Dragons game twice per month that is a home game away from all the noise. We should talk.

I also run a lot of Warhammer 40,000 events in Olympia and Tacoma and have a game troom at home so PM me your number and we can talk.

I would not base anything off of a miniwargaming post. Just saying. Aside from the obvious potential for rules errors, the reality is 8th Edition TACTICS haven't truly developed and some people ARE goingto get white washed as they learn to identify what the true threats are too late. As i am sure you can appreciate, the army doesn't do the thinking for you. The adjustment perior will be real.

the good news is we can all share that pain together in glorious unremitting battle. So.

Yeah, the more I watch read it seems that the guys are just getting the hang of the rules or are having just a crappy run of dice rolling. The one in particular on MiniWargaming, I have never seen so many 1's rolled in my life.

Sent you a PM about D&D and 40k

Thanks for the warm welcome!
T-800
Soldier

Postby Unorthodoxy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:12 pm

T-800 wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome!

You'll be toasty in no time.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Sharpjab » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi everyone,
My name is Andrew and I just moved up to the Olympia area from Arizona. I was turned on to your forum by the great folks over at Olympic Cards and Comics. I'm primarily into 40k although I only just got into the hobby a few months back but I've been known to dabble in Pokémon TCG and Magic from time to time. I'm also interested in some D&D or maybe even try to get a group together for the Deathwatch RPG which I have a digital copy of the rule book, dm kit, and a few supplements. I'm glad to be apart of this community and looking forward to letting the good times roll (pun intended).
Sharpjab
Conscript

Postby Unorthodoxy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:30 am

Welcome. Join in on the 40K part of the forum as soon as possible!

We have our very first 8th Edition tournament on Saturday and all prizes will be drawn so no pressure to win. Just come and play.

We have a pretty active 40K group.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Timbershark » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Hello everyone,

I live in Olympia and have recently got back into 40k after a long break, (4th and 5th ed) and was pointed here after playing my first 8th ed game at OCC with my Imperial Guard. I am eager to get back into 40K and am very happy to see there is such an active community in the area. though my work and family life stays pretty busy hopefully I will be able to get down to OCC once or twice a month to play a game!
Timbershark
Conscript

PreviousNext

Return to Warsound General Discussion and Introductions