WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Frostgrave Interest

Post your introductions, and general banter here.

Frostgrave Interest

Postby Das » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:54 pm

Is anyone interested in Frostgrave the new wargame that came out?

I bought the level 5 Lich Lord Add-on. So in November-December I will have the rulebook, Campaign book and a huge number of models. If anyone is interested in playing let me know.
Das
Sergeant

Re: Frostgrave Interest

Postby Unorthodoxy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:01 pm

N idea what that is!
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Das » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:01 am

Das
Sergeant

Postby Das » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:04 pm

I got the book and about twenty models. So anyone interested in playing contact me. Rules are simple...got thenmodels, got the dice and etc
Das
Sergeant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:15 pm

We played FrostGrave. Its pretty fun.

You essentially customize a Wizard and his apprentice (who both carry the same spells, though as you'd expect, the apprentice isn't nearly as good at casting them) and use your gold to build up a retinue up to 9 men strong including the Wizard himself.

Like in older Dungeons and Dragons, the wizards have schools of magic and some are opposed and much harder to cast spells from. The spells are fairly fun.

The purpose of the game is that you all represent rival factions entering a city that was frozen over centuries ago and has now thawed. its treasure await you and so the rival factions go in and try to grab the treasure and take them out again, like a dungeon crawl. The interesting things happen when you use your magic to influence the battle. I for example played an illusionist and he has 8 spells, one of which is called Transpose. What it does is switches the position of two models that are within 10" of each other. So as long s you can see them you can do it. This created all kinds of interesting little rules interactions and allowed me to try and put my guys in better position (because they wer never where you thought they were in the first place, it was all an illusion!) I could even Teleport!

You play it on what we found out should be a 3x3 board at least, up to a 4x4. The terrain density is fairly heavy and has a pretty significant impact on the game, much like infinity. It gave the real sense that you really were having to claw among the ruins and find your treasure while monsters crop up out of nowhere to attack the nearest rival foolish enough to invade their tombs.

Henchmen come in all kinds of varieties from the doughty Barbarians who are extremely expensive to recruit all the way down to the lowly cudgel wielding thugs who will work for nothing. You have the Crossbowman, thieves and others inbetween you can hire too.

After you've played a game you can roll for treasure and see what you got out of there with and then buy a base of operations. You can recruit new members to your band of brothers (no more than the 10 usually) and even sell or buy magic etc... So its something that you can play as an ongoing thing without the need for much in the way of organization as its kind of a BUILT IN League in the way it plays. You could even have several different "Campaigns" going at the same time depending on the players.

So its very much like running a dungeon crawl with 3D terrain against rival players ad multiple players can play on the same board. My guess is that any more than four would be too many but four players could absolutely play it and spend an evening trying desperately to gank each other's treasure and get the F out with it!

The role playing obviously isnt a part of it as it is a wargame in the end, but I enjoyed it a lot.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Das » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:19 am

http://heapofgeek.blogspot.com/2015/10/ ... e-and.html

Images from our game. I have purchase all the wizards from each school and a ton of other models but if you have anything fantasy related it would likely work. I would really like to try and organize a campaign of sorts (like next month with I get the expansion Thaw of the Lich). So if anyone is interested please let me know. I have one so far....that pesky illusionist.
Das
Sergeant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:13 pm

More of this thread is continued i nthe Warhammer Fantasy area, just FYI
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Kingpin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:03 am

Can you play this with more then just 2 players at a time?
Matt should be around here somewhere...lurking...
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:07 am

As the review mentions, yes.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Kingpin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:35 pm

Sounds like fun. I will have to join in next time
Matt should be around here somewhere...lurking...
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Next

Return to Warsound General Discussion and Introductions