WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Night Lords, 8th Edition

Night Lords, 8th Edition

Postby Unorthodoxy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:53 am

My Chaos Space Marines Army fits in 8th Edition, unchanged other than wargear options which are no longer available (in the index). The actual components of the army are entirely the same. The only thing that I got forced to do in 8th is join the Obliterators and Mutilators into unit instead of having them separate as I did before.

How do you think it does in 8th Edition? One change I am considering is that I kind of want to put my Warp Talons to work, and I can take 10 Cultists and 5 Warp Talons in place of the Heldrake. The Cultists would be necessary so that I could keep the half of my army in reserve that is meant to function like that. Doesn't work unless I have some ground troops to hold the fort down while they wait for the heavens to split open at the approach of my primary invasion force.

Night Lord Battalion

Heavy Support
10 (195pts) 3 Obliterators
Troops
5 (90pts) 5 Chaos Space Marines (1x Missile Launcher)
5 (90pts) 5 Chaos Space Marines (1x Missile Launcher)
5 (75pts) 5 Chaos Space Marines (Heavy Bolter)
Elites
10 (195pts) 3 Mutilators
HQ
7 (161pts) Chaos Lord in Terminator Armor (Combi-melta, Powerfist)
7 (140pts) Chaos Lord on Bike (Plasma Pistol, Power Fist)
Fast Attack
12 (227pts) 10 Khornate Raptors (2 Meltaguns, Champion w/ two Lightning Claws, Icon of Wrath)
12 (227pts) 10 Khornate Raptors (2 Meltaguns, Champion w/ two Lightning Claws, Icon of Wrath)
12 (210pts) 9 Khornate Raptors (2 Meltaguns, Champion w/ two Lightning Claws, Icon of Wrath)
Transports
4 (96pts) Chaos Rhino (Havoc Launcher, Combi-plasma)
4 (96pts) Chaos Rhino (Havoc Launcher, Combi-plasma)

Vanguard Formation:
10 (198pts) Heldrake (Baleflamer)

Models: 55
Units: 13
Command Points: 5
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Re: Night Lords, 8th Edition

Postby Morendie » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:41 am

This is getting me awfully tempted to put together my Chaos stuff
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
Morendie
Lieutenant

Postby Kingpin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:53 am

Its not as scary as it once was. The marines only being T4 and no Eye of Night thingy make it a lot less scary. Once Chaos gets an actual codex I imagine they will get marks of chaos back and then it will be fun again.
Matt should be around here somewhere...lurking...
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:53 pm

Yes, the Eye of Night was very scary if someone wanted to bring armor. D3 Penetrating hits to everything the template touched? Yup, that'll definitely speed the whittling process right up. Lol. Forcing me to be T4 makes an enormous difference, also accurate.

Here are some things that mitigate that somewhat: armor is no longer copious as it once was or as "key" for certain armies like it once was. I'm not saying that IG and some other armies won't make armor a thing, but i am saying that it's less of an obstacle and a lot more expensive in general.

The trouble I ran into (and really...the only trouble I ever ran into, because my Night Lords were pretty darn effective) were armored lists that took too long to pop. Those armies are going to be far more rare. The Obliterators average 4-6 wounds against armor at one go, as a group, which isn't awesome but its enough to weaken them for the Meltas and missiles. A lot more weapons can hurt armor as well.

The REALLY big blow is that my army was very tough and could survive a lot more shots than it will now. Originally when I designed it, it was designed to essentially drop, hold for a round and eat you. Then I learned that walking the Raptors up the board was far more effective (oddly but true, because the timing was better) in most cases, and then they started making drop-and-charge a thing, which allowed me to go balls deep on Deep Strikes again (and I think we all know how much I like to go balls deep when Deep Striking).

In this brave new world, timing is not an issue but probabilities are for Deep Strikers. The icon helps that but ultimately, i still only am T4 and will not be able to tie things up nearly as effectively as once we did. i will be able to stop a lot of incoming fire unlike before. So its a trade off but its a very troublesome one and i am unsure how it will actually play.

Obliterators got tougher which is a plus, as did Mutilators. They also have an unusual mechanic for their weapons but at least you don't have to mess with "switching" weapons. Heldrakes can now charge people and they have 30" moves so they WILL be charging somebody. =) My Chaos Marines can actually afford a Heavy Weapon, so that's news. I dunno. It will be very different.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Kingpin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:43 pm

The new Space Marine codex is really cool and gives you tons of options. I am really waiting for a chaos codex and hope it allows for just as many ways to build a list. Should add a lot of flavor back into the army.
Matt should be around here somewhere...lurking...
-Unorthodoxy
Kingpin
Major

Return to 40K Army Lists