WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Morendie's Custodes

Morendie's Custodes

Postby Morendie » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:05 am

So this is the list I have been working on, its similar to the one I used in the tournament last week, which performed very well in itself, but alas, I still have much to learn tactically. But it still feels like a big step up for only playing the game for 6 months. I keep modifying the list for effectiveness, but this is the list for the most part I will be using in next weeks ITC tournament. I am always open to suggestions. Custodian Guards are tough as nails, and hit like a brick wall, having pistol 2 for each helps big in close combat. Still getting used to using pistols all the time. The Lord Commissars in this list are purely for slot filler, so I can have 6 Command points. They actually fit well stat wise. 5+ invuln, 2+ to hit. Custodes have 3W, T5, 2+ save and a 3+ invuln, Each unit has 16 hits in the fight phase, all hitting on 2s, -3ap, D3 damage. So the damage output can be devastating. The landraider is used to transport one of my 3 custodes, while also blowing up big targets early game with 2 twin las cannons (That hit on 2s), which also has a 2+ save, 5+ invuln, and for every wound loss, even mortal, a D6 roll of 6 ignores it. My dreadnaughts have the same invuln and ability and also hits on 2s. I use tactical squads and my HQs to properly space my army so it is impossible to deep strike around me turn one. Hellblasters are fantastic killing machines, 30" range, 15" rapid range -4ap on both weapon profiles, so ignoring 3+ saves. utilizing cover to add to saves is crucial in making my guys difficult to kill. Early game it can be difficult for my opponent to really decide what to focus on, the land raider? the 15 hard to kill custodes? The dreadnaughts? None of my stuff feels nice up close.

Custodes
Batallion Detachment - 1,995Points
Chase Congdon

HQ: 2
2 Lord Commissar - 110pts
(includes basic bolt pistol 1ptx2& power sword 4ptsx2)
Troops: 5
7 Tactical Marines - 91pts
(Standard Boltguns & grenades)
7 Tactical marines - 91pts
(Standard Boltguns & Grenades)
5 Custodian Guard - 270/Inside Land Raider
(Includes Storm Shield 5ptsx5 & Sentinal Blade 9ptsx5)
5 Custodian Guard - 270
(Includes Storm Shield 5ptsx5 & Sentinal Blade 9ptsx5)
5 Custodian Guard - 270
(Includes Storm Shield 5ptsx5 & Sentinal Blade 9ptsx5)

Elites: 2
1 Venerable Contemptor Dreadnought - 167
(Includes Combi Bolter2pts/Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon25pts/Close Combat Weapon 40pts)
1 Venerable Contemptor Dreadnought - 167
(Includes Combi Bolter2pts/Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon25pts/Close Combat Weapon 40pts)
Heavies: 2
Hellblaster Squad - 190pts
(Includes Plasma Incinerator 18ptsx5)
Venerable Land Raider - 369pts
(Includes 2 Twin Las Cannons50ptsx2, Twin Heavy Bolter23pts, and storm bolter2pts)
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
User avatar
Morendie
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:55 am

Re: Morendie's Custodes

Postby Unorthodoxy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:53 am

Morendie wrote:So this is the list I have been working on, its similar to the one I used in the tournament last week, which performed very well in itself, but alas, I still have much to learn tactically. But it still feels like a big step up for only playing the game for 6 months. I keep modifying the list for effectiveness, but this is the list for the most part I will be using in next weeks ITC tournament. I am always open to suggestions. Custodian Guards are tough as nails, and hit like a brick wall, having pistol 2 for each helps big in close combat. Still getting used to using pistols all the time. The Lord Commissars in this list are purely for slot filler, so I can have 6 Command points. They actually fit well stat wise. 5+ invuln, 2+ to hit. Custodes have 3W, T5, 2+ save and a 3+ invuln, Each unit has 16 hits in the fight phase, all hitting on 2s, -3ap, D3 damage. So the damage output can be devastating. The landraider is used to transport one of my 3 custodes, while also blowing up big targets early game with 2 twin las cannons (That hit on 2s), which also has a 2+ save, 5+ invuln, and for every wound loss, even mortal, a D6 roll of 6 ignores it. My dreadnaughts have the same invuln and ability and also hits on 2s. I use tactical squads and my HQs to properly space my army so it is impossible to deep strike around me turn one. Hellblasters are fantastic killing machines, 30" range, 15" rapid range -4ap on both weapon profiles, so ignoring 3+ saves. utilizing cover to add to saves is crucial in making my guys difficult to kill. Early game it can be difficult for my opponent to really decide what to focus on, the land raider? the 15 hard to kill custodes? The dreadnaughts? None of my stuff feels nice up close.

Custodes
Batallion Detachment - 1,995Points
Chase Congdon

HQ: 2
2 Lord Commissar - 110pts
(includes basic bolt pistol 1ptx2& power sword 4ptsx2)
Troops: 5
7 Tactical Marines - 91pts
(Standard Boltguns & grenades)
7 Tactical marines - 91pts
(Standard Boltguns & Grenades)
5 Custodian Guard - 270/Inside Land Raider
(Includes Storm Shield 5ptsx5 & Sentinal Blade 9ptsx5)
5 Custodian Guard - 270
(Includes Storm Shield 5ptsx5 & Sentinal Blade 9ptsx5)
5 Custodian Guard - 270
(Includes Storm Shield 5ptsx5 & Sentinal Blade 9ptsx5)

Elites: 2
1 Venerable Contemptor Dreadnought - 167
(Includes Combi Bolter2pts/Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon25pts/Close Combat Weapon 40pts)
1 Venerable Contemptor Dreadnought - 167
(Includes Combi Bolter2pts/Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon25pts/Close Combat Weapon 40pts)
Heavies: 2
Hellblaster Squad - 190pts
(Includes Plasma Incinerator 18ptsx5)
Venerable Land Raider - 369pts
(Includes 2 Twin Las Cannons50ptsx2, Twin Heavy Bolter23pts, and storm bolter2pts)


You only have one problem here. It appears this is not a Custodes Formation, but an Imperium Formation. If you compete with it, you will have to register as Imperium, which is a bummer since it wont be obvious that you played Custodes and you cant compete for ranking among the Custodes when you do it this way, only against other "Imperium" generals.

something to think about.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major
 
Posts: 4927
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Morendie's Custodes

Postby Morendie » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:25 am

Unorthodoxy wrote:You only have one problem here. It appears this is not a Custodes Formation, but an Imperium Formation. If you compete with it, you will have to register as Imperium, which is a bummer since it wont be obvious that you played Custodes and you cant compete for ranking among the Custodes when you do it this way, only against other "Imperium" generals.

something to think about.


??

there wasnt a problem at the last ITC i played in about it. 6 out of 11 are custodes, and the space marines are a "custodes chapter" with the Lord Commissars as HQs. There are no Custodes HQs, there are only 3 custodes units, so its impossible to make a pure custodes list unless I want to give up all my command points, and have none for the tournament.
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
User avatar
Morendie
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:55 am

Re: Morendie's Custodes

Postby Unorthodoxy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Had to correct another General on this at the tournament.

In any one Detachment... they must all share ONE Keyword.

The keyword you CHOOSE that they share is the Keyword for the Detachment. So for example if I link a Space Marine unit with an IG unit with a Sisters unit, all share the Faction Keyword Imperium, and therefore my Detachment is Imperium.

If I have multiple detachments, The DETACHMENT (again its keyword'd) that is the largest is what the army competes for points as.

So if you have a Detachment in which all models shared the Custodes Keyword of 700 points (because every model shares the Custodes keyword) and one Detachment of 800 points that you choose to link via the Imperium Faction Keyword and then a little 200 point Detachment that is also linked by all Custodes Keywords, ..It's an Imperium army as far as the ITC is concerned.

Here is the actual wording from the ITC:

Your ITC faction is determined as follows: find the the most specific Faction Keyword (which is typically the last Faction Keyword listed on each unit's’ datasheet) shared by every model in the detachment with the most points in it in your army. Consult column B in the chart above. Your ITC faction is the corresponding ITC Faction Keyword in column C.
Example: you have 3 detachments in your army. The 1st is 400 points, the 2nd is 1,000 points and the 3rd is 600 points. The largest detachment is the 2nd. The most specific Faction Keyword shared by all models in that detachment is Ultramarines. Your ITC Faction for your army is Adeptus Astartes and your ITC points will be awarded to that faction and you will compete with all other players whose army corresponds to that ITC faction keyword.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major
 
Posts: 4927
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Morendie's Custodes

Postby Morendie » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:01 pm

Unorthodoxy wrote:Had to correct another General on this at the tournament.

In any one Detachment... they must all share ONE Keyword.

The keyword you CHOOSE that they share is the Keyword for the Detachment. So for example if I link a Space Marine unit with an IG unit with a Sisters unit, all share the Faction Keyword Imperium, and therefore my Detachment is Imperium.

If I have multiple detachments, The DETACHMENT (again its keyword'd) that is the largest is what the army competes for points as.

So if you have a Detachment in which all models shared the Custodes Keyword of 700 points (because every model shares the Custodes keyword) and one Detachment of 800 points that you choose to link via the Imperium Faction Keyword and then a little 200 point Detachment that is also linked by all Custodes Keywords, ..It's an Imperium army as far as the ITC is concerned.

Here is the actual wording from the ITC:

Your ITC faction is determined as follows: find the the most specific Faction Keyword (which is typically the last Faction Keyword listed on each unit's’ datasheet) shared by every model in the detachment with the most points in it in your army. Consult column B in the chart above. Your ITC faction is the corresponding ITC Faction Keyword in column C.
Example: you have 3 detachments in your army. The 1st is 400 points, the 2nd is 1,000 points and the 3rd is 600 points. The largest detachment is the 2nd. The most specific Faction Keyword shared by all models in that detachment is Ultramarines. Your ITC Faction for your army is Adeptus Astartes and your ITC points will be awarded to that faction and you will compete with all other players whose army corresponds to that ITC faction keyword.


Good, then its exactly what it was from the very beginning, a combined Imperium detachment that is Custodes themed. With Imperium being the the most shared keyword among them.

Even then there wouldn't be any competing against custodes, because per rules, its IMPOSSIBLE to have Custodes rankings because there are only 3 Custodes units, a troop, elite, and heavy. No HQs, thus you cannot take any of the formations. Alas, the entire reasoning for my list design, and entire reasoning behind using the cheapest HQs I have that are 55 points for slot fillers. Even if every unit was auxiliary (So no command points), I wouldn't be able to do it, because you can only have 3 detachments. Thats why I was so happy about 8th and preach the faction keyword to people I see. No more multiple detachments, bring whatever you want and put it in a nice and tidy list as long as it shares a faction keyword. You put me on the rankings for custodes when I said it was custodes with "custodes chapter" space marines. As Custodes as I could possibly get it. So that made me think it was because the majority of my points was custodes. Either way I am cool with it. My original thought was it was just a imperium detachment because of the mixed bag I made.

So I will gladly compete against others of the Imperium, I will crush them as if they are made of foam. :twisted:
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
User avatar
Morendie
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:55 am

Re: Morendie's Custodes

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:38 pm

I lost what you were saying somewhere along the road here but it sounds...like you got it?

So atta boy. git em.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major
 
Posts: 4927
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Morendie's Custodes

Postby Morendie » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Unorthodoxy wrote:I lost what you were saying somewhere along the road here but it sounds...like you got it?

So atta boy. git em.

We talked about it last night
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
User avatar
Morendie
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:55 am

Re: Morendie's Custodes

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:11 pm

Soooooooo. List update?
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major
 
Posts: 4927
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Morendie's Custodes

Postby Morendie » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:58 am

Custodes Surpreme
Batallion Detachment - 1,991 Points
Chase Congdon

HQ: 2
2 Lord Commissar - 110pts
(includes basic bolt pistol 1ptx2& power sword 4ptsx2)
Troops: 5
5 Intercessor Squad - 100pts
(standard Bolt Rifle, Pistol & Grenades)
6 Tactical Marines - 78pts
(Standard Boltguns & grenades)
5 Custodian Guard - 270/Inside Land Raider
(Includes Storm Shield 5ptsx5 & Sentinal Blade 9ptsx5)
5 Custodian Guard - 270
(Includes Storm Shield 5ptsx5 & Sentinal Blade 9ptsx5)
5 Custodian Guard - 270
(Includes Storm Shield 5ptsx5 & Sentinal Blade 9ptsx5)
Elites: 2
1 Venerable Contemptor Dreadnought - 167
(Includes Combi Bolter2pts/Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon25pts/Close Combat Weapon 40pts)
1 Venerable Contemptor Dreadnought - 167
(Includes Combi Bolter2pts/Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon25pts/Close Combat Weapon 40pts)
Heavies: 2
5 Hellblaster Squad - 190pts
(Plasma Incinerator & bolt pistols)
Venerable Land Raider - 369pts
(Includes 2 Twin Las Cannons50ptsx2, Twin Heavy Bolter23pts, and storm bolter2pts)
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
User avatar
Morendie
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:55 am

Re: Morendie's Custodes

Postby Morendie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:05 am

added a flamer to the tactical, now at 2,000 points
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
User avatar
Morendie
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:55 am


Return to 40K Army Lists

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest