WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Tau Arctic Corps,9th Brigade for 8th Edition

Tau Arctic Corps,9th Brigade for 8th Edition

Postby Unorthodoxy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:40 am

This is essentially the list I used to get two of my tournament wins with Tau last year. I had to change it structurally to accomodate 8th Edition and the Brigade Detachment but the parts are pretty well unchanged other than that I lost the Riptide. Just too expensive in the new edition to keep in there.

Your thoughts? I have a second Fireblade just in case one gets sniped. Buys me another round of using their ability. It also gave me my third HQ choice which I needed.

With 28 Markerlights in the army, I figure I can enact Erasure Protocols on at least two units each round. Markerlight one, fire til its dead. Markerlight the second. Fire until its dead.

The army contains three enormously powerful, if inaccurate, Supremacy Railguns capable of annihilating any target, collectively averaging 11 Wounds per Round and averaging 14 every other round. Maximum Damage in one round: 54 wounds in a round. That's bringing the pain, though never likely to actually happen that way. Still fun to think about.

Sometimes that just won't be enough.

In those instances., we have the Stormsurge. It can do 12 Mortal Wounds (average 8) in one go to a target when needed, and that's just it's one use Destroyer Missiles. Since those wounds bleed over that means that in theory he can kill a 12 man squad of pretty much any kind or, say, 4 Grotesques or 6 Roughriders (who now have two wounds! Wish I knew that earlier bt oh well). And then he fires everything else. While he is no longer a beast in melee and can ill afford to be in close combat any more, he's still a beast. Almost ths same exact cost as before but with less deadliness.

Characters are a thing so of course the good old Sniper Drones are there to slim down the shenanigans. It is a rare Sniper Attack that actually has a STR instead o being "always wounds on 4" . Longshot Sniper Rifles will tend to wound on 3's against infantry which is better and wound against tougher tanks on 5's while regular ones will be hurt on 6's! The downside is it never does the Mortal Wounds like they do. It's rate of fire is better but its accuracy much worse. It relies on characters and bonus's to hit its target. The key is to disallow the enemy from continually getting their bonus's off, where possible, but its a unit very capable of taking on any target really.

The Pathfinder Rail Rifles are very dangerous. They will advance on the enemy and inflict multiple wounds, sometimes mortal ones. The rest of the unit will be either firing Markerlights or firing their Pulse Carbines. Unfortunately, the Pulse Carbine is essentially inferior in every way to the Pulse Rifle, except that you can advance with it and fire (albeit at shorter range). I had kind of hoped they would give the Carbine something to spice it up, but that's pretty much it. Still, it's 15-22 STR 5 shots depending on whether the buff character is there or not, so not a waste. Just less cool than hoped.

Deep Striking is a thing. I proved it. To create a halo around my units to protect against that, I included the Kroot Carnivores. They can scout up and form the Halo. The Kroot Hounds are very fast and can stream to the side they need to in order to plug a hole and they actually are pretty vicious with a Shaper around, averaging 8-9 wounds on a T5 model. Quite a few vehicles could be damaged by their surprising output.

The Marker Drones, along with the FireSight Marksman and the Cadre FireBlades should be able to mark two targets per turn, given the Drone Controller on the Stormsurge. That frees up the Pathfinders to be offensive and aggressive tools of the T'Au expansion alongside their 30 Fire Warrior brethren. This gives us a fusillade to work with against close quarters fighters who break our Kroot perimeter; and they also serves as a mobile fire base we can advance with.

For the Greater Good.

Tau Arctic Corps Fortification Network Formation
7 (139pts)Tidewall Gunrig
= 417

Tau Arctic Corps Expeditionary Brigade
Heavy Suppert[/u]
3 (54pts) 3 Sniper Drones
= 162
Elites
2 (31pts) Kroot Shaper
1 (24pts) Firesight Markmen (Markerlight)
1 (24pts) Firesight Markmen (Markerlight)
= 79
Fast Attack
6 (137pts)10 Pathfinders (3 Rail Rifles, 7 Carbine+Markerlights)
6 (137pts)10 Pathfinders (3 Rail Rifles, 7 Carbine + Markerlights)
6 (100pts)10 Marker Drones
3 (48pts) 12 Kroot Hounds
3 (48pts) 12 Kroot Hounds
= 470
Troops
6 (60pts) 10 Kroot Carnivores
3 (40pts) 5 Fire Warriors
5 (48pts) 6 Fire Warriors
5 (48pts) 6 Fire Warriors
=276
HQ
4 (75pts) Aun’Va of the Undying Spirit
2 (42pts) Cadre Fireblade (Rifle+Markerlight)
2 (42pts) Cadre Fireblade (Rifle+Markerlight)
=159

Tau Arctic Corps Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment
22 (437pts) StormSurge (2 Airburst Frag Launchers, Cluster Rockets, 4 Destroyer Missiles, Pulse Blast Cannon, 2 Smart Missiles, Shield Generator, Advanced Targeting Systems, Drone Controller)

Total Points: 2000
Total Power: 113
Total Models: 112
Deployment Drops: 21-24
Last edited by Unorthodoxy on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Re: Tau Arctic Corps,9th Brigade for 8th Edition

Postby Unorthodoxy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:15 pm

I finished an entire Battle Report and the fracking site ate it. So pissed.

Anyways long story (really long) short is, the Tau Arctic Corps,9th Brigade acquitted itself admirably against the Adeptus Custodes.

At the end of round two, His Land Raider had like 2 Hull Points left, 2 of his three Contemptors were damaged, 14 or so Marines were flung about the place...and his 5 Custodes tied up with Kroot Hounds. His Warlord was dead and it looked pretty good for me.

My plan for round 3 was to simply fire the house into the Custodes and kill them, then wrap them up again in Kroot Carnivores via charging the last Marines the Shaper was fighting and consolidating into the Custodes if they miraculously survive.(and assuming the Kroot Shaper could kill someone they effectively become fearless).

We called it a tie and must now fight this battle again.

Key take aways:
Kroot Shapers for the WIN. He made a big difference in my ability to keep the enemy at bay. Using Heroic Intervention for the first time was also very cool and i will definitely need to keep that ability in mind.

Sniper Drones are REALLY expensive when the enemy has few characters, but their range really made up for a lot. Their inaccuracy bothers me A LOT, but I've seen enough to know that I am better off with them than without. It is still a bit disappointing when you're used to hitting on 2's. The important takeaway though was that they need to be to the fore. I think this army can protect them enough that having them in the back isn't necessary.

Kroot Carnivores did their job perfectly. They set the halo for me, and the combination of things I could do for them was really useful. They are poor close combat fighters. Just are. No fortitude, no volume of attacks and whereas they used to terrify Orks becausse of init 3 and three attacks on the charge they are substantially less useful for the purpose. However, their ability to Vanguard move (scout) paid off and they do fill the critical 6th Troops choice I need so i think they are here to stay,.

Aun'Va is as always super cool. as before he represents a really strong board wide buff to morale which is critical, especially with the aggressive "move forward" theme of this list. Unlike many Tau empire forces, this one wants to get there.

I rarely needed the Cadre Fireblade for much as the enemy range did not allow for a lot of benefit. However his Markerlight was invaluable when my dice went cold and i fell short by one Marker light hit. My STRONG preference is not to need the Pathfinder Markerlights as markerlights. The same thing was true for the Firesight Marksman who also contributed similarly and were clutch. Marker Drones just are not reliable as they once were. I consider them a necessary evil, and plan to continue using them for the time being.

I am going to have to really look at that particular investment though. I have 5 Fast Attacks so taking them out isn't an issue but Pathfinders are the only viable option and they still hit on 4's just like the Drones do (with the Drone Controller nearby). So I lose toughness and armor if i change and I gain independence from the Drone Controller. I dunno. Seems like Drones are still better if not for th ability to take three more of those SWEET SWEET Rail Rifles which you cannot do with Marker Drones. But then again if you did, you'd only have an average of 3.5 Markerlight hits rather than 5. So there again, Advantage Drones. Grr.

Hounds were so worth it. I KILLED myself trying to figure a way to afford them over other "better" things and there are a LOT of choices that might be more favorable on paper. Glad I fought this hard to keep them in.

Tidewall Gunrigs: Basically like a slow & inaccruate Lazorback that can carry 10 instead of 5. That's kinda how I see them. Sturdy but ultimately mortal. It gives me a great place to protect the Pathfinders. I think everyone knows what a big fan I am of finding an excuse to play with Pathfinders as offensive weapons, rather than just as Marker-Caddies. It is a little more expensive than the much faster Devilfish, and its not quite as many wounds. Having said that, the firepower makes up for it.
Last edited by Unorthodoxy on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Morendie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:30 am

the land raider had 4 hull points left. Which was terrible because they hit on 2s and turn 1 for me I was hitting on 4s, which isnt good with 2 twin las cannons and I now had a 4" movement vs 10". I still had the ability to win with my Dreads basically being full health, and they are super powerful in close combat. My goal was to wipe out all your infantry and head straight into your stormsurge. You constantly tying up my army in close combat made a huge difference. Made things difficult for me.
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
Morendie
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:15 am

Yes, that is what I was saying is that the Kroot Hounds were a real asset. Also, I don't know if the Contemptors were ever going to get to the StormSurge. It would be bottom of 3 before they got a turn and they would basically be facing a wall of Kroot in ruins. it wouldn't be until turn four that they would have their chance and that, AFTER I went in trurn 4. By then with Custodes gone on turn three and me going first in turn 4... You might not even have them there by then.

No I think the Custodes were going to get tabled by turn five or six, depending on how it went with the mop up of the Contemptors.

But we'll never know that so...REMATCH!
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Morendie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:41 am

Contemptors were never going through the ruins. The idea was to swing all 3 around and get to your stormsurge. And mop up the infantry on the way there. If I was able to get them in close combat, I could potentially do a lot of damage.
Morendie
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:57 am

Morendie wrote:Contemptors were never going through the ruins. The idea was to swing all 3 around and get to your stormsurge. And mop up the infantry on the way there. If I was able to get them in close combat, I could potentially do a lot of damage.

Too far away. They could try but...
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Morendie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:23 am

9 inch move, up to 15 on the run. So after 2 turns they would be charge distance. Theoretically
Morendie
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:34 am

And nothing alive to take objectives.

REMATCH!
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:21 pm

REMATCH occurred.

This time he tooled up, taking an entire other Custodes Squad to add to the mix. Lass Marines meant points for the Hellblaster squad which is good at whittling big things.

The entire game was much more substantial. Took us about threee rounds to really get to definitive positions that would decide the game and massive devastation occurred in the second round, unlike last time where the first round felt decisive. I consider that a major move up for this Custodes army.

I did end up tabling the new and improved list but the threat was real. Missed charges contributed to the poor showing at the end, as those 8-10 inch charges just weren't happening and he didn't have the command points to spend.

He legitimately threatened my lines but just not enough dudesto cloes the deal.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Morendie » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:53 am

Deploying those hellblasters correctly would have made a big difference I think, instead they were pretty much out of the game until turn 3. Though I really didn't do a whole lot of damage to your army, it felt as though it pushed in really well, and could have been devastating. You had a lot of miss rolls, which was lucky for me. And I got some good key bad roles for charging. Better deployment probably would have made the game better, then again, when you only have about 10-11 units, and your opponent has over 20, positioning can be difficult. But thats the sacrifice I made. Quality over quantity. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it offers disadvantages. I feel the biggest threat to my army is mortal wound making units & high volume of fire.
Morendie
Lieutenant

Next

Return to 40K Army Lists