WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

My attempt at 8th Edition Chaos Marine Brigade

My attempt at 8th Edition Chaos Marine Brigade

Postby Unorthodoxy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:38 am

The Terminators and Chaos Lords are utterly baseline because I have no points to spend really. In the name of making it a Brigade, things had to be sacrificed. I dislike the stripped down leaders immensely. Would love to make them Chaos Sorcerers.

It also needs a name.

Defiler (Battle Cannon, Reaper Cannon, Defiler Scourge, Combi-Flamer)

7 Havocs (2 Heavy Bolters, 2 Missile Launchers)

6 Havocs (2 Heavy Bolters, 2 Missile Launchers)

5 Chaos Marines (Lascannon)

5 Chaos Terminators

5 Chaos Terminators

5 Chaos Terminators

1 Spawn

1 Spawn

1 Spawn

1 Chaos Lord
1 Chaos Lord
1 Chaos Lord

Models: 65
Command Points: 12
Units: 18
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Re: My attempt at 8th Edition Chaos Marine Brigade

Postby Unorthodoxy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:16 pm

I got a game in with this today.

Observations:

Defiler has a BS of 4? WTF? Clearly this big boy needs to see front line action. Standing in the back is absolutely a huge waste of this models potential. It is clear that the Defiler will not live long but if it is allowed to Advance in turn one, and threaten a large swath of units at once, it will be far more useful. It attracts a lot of QUALITY fire, and it essentially just lets other units get into position. I don't think it will last long against good armies, as was always the case before and there is a pretty strong case to be made that they missed the mark again with this thing. Regenerating one hull point per round simply isn't enough. The 5+ invul is nice but in the end, I am a bit disappointed. It's still tougher than the alternative Heavy Support I need for a Brigade and a Lascannon Predator would be nice but it seems unlikely to live much longer than the Defiler (though the accuracy does matter). There may simply be no better choice unless I just take more Havocs or something. I'll keep trying it. To be fair, I was facing the T'au Empire and they do tend to make big things disappear much faster than most.

Havocs: I liked how these worked out. I at first questioned my decision to put Missile Launchers on them but the Frag shot actually does come in handy against some targets. I only lost one of the Havocs. Havocs hiding in Ruins are fairly survivable and with enough forward pressure, they can only be your priority target in round one and that's if you're not making the Defiler number one. After that, it's tough to keep pounding them.

Chaos Marines: Arming them with Lascannons worked out brilliantly. Having that heavy fire power so spread out, it was very hard for the T'au to eliminate the heavy hitting ability of the army. Many Drones died saving his Broadsides from getting killed by them. Here again, as Chase would say, Chaos Marines in ruins are like cockroaches.

Terminators: Combi-Bolters are legit. It's a lot of shots coming from that Terminator group. The Power Axes are disappointingly less cool than they used to be and are the default weapon. It took a good while to work through just two Broadsides (6 wounds each). The good news...they DID grind through them. I lost 8 of my 15 Terminators just trying to get into combat because Overwatch is a thing for the T'au Empire and bad dice rolls plagued me for a good part of the battle. I think that against a little less terrifying overwatch, the results would have been more spectacular but they did their job in the end, getting the Warlord kill and Line Breaker (which after all is the goal).

Chaos Lords: My baseline Chaos Lords got treated like Spawn. I pushed them forward towards the enemy right along with the Spawn and without any upgrades they did a fine job against inferior melee opponents. 5 attacks with a Chainsword is a good time. If I can get just a few points free, I might change one to a Sorcerer for that sweet sweet Smite action.

Spawn: Like the Chaos Lords, they were there to kick off the charges and generally gum things up. There is definite value to slowing enemies down or stopping them from shooting in subsequent rounds. That is exactly what the Spawn were able to do, essentially bashing at units that were attempting to get to the objective and stopping them long enough to force them to stay or abandon their progress.

The force worked well. In fact it worked FAR better than I anticipated. Eager to try it out against other forces.

Final score was 6-0. Let's watch the Galaxy burn.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Morendie » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:58 pm

Unorthodoxy wrote:I got a game in with this today.

Observations:

Defiler has a BS of 4? WTF? Clearly this big boy needs to see front line action. Standing in the back is absolutely a huge waste of this models potential. It is clear that the Defiler will not live long but if it is allowed to Advance in turn one, and threaten a large swath of units at once, it will be far more useful. It attracts a lot of QUALITY fire, and it essentially just lets other units get into position. I don't think it will last long against good armies, as was always the case before and there is a pretty strong case to be made that they missed the mark again with this thing. Regenerating one hull point per round simply isn't enough. The 5+ invul is nice but in the end, I am a bit disappointed. It's still tougher than the alternative Heavy Support I need for a Brigade and a Lascannon Predator would be nice but it seems unlikely to live much longer than the Defiler (though the accuracy does matter). There may simply be no better choice unless I just take more Havocs or something. I'll keep trying it. To be fair, I was facing the T'au Empire and they do tend to make big things disappear much faster than most.

Havocs: I liked how these worked out. I at first questioned my decision to put Missile Launchers on them but the Frag shot actually does come in handy against some targets. I only lost one of the Havocs. Havocs hiding in Ruins are fairly survivable and with enough forward pressure, they can only be your priority target in round one and that's if you're not making the Defiler number one. After that, it's tough to keep pounding them.

Chaos Marines: Arming them with Lascannons worked out brilliantly. Having that heavy fire power so spread out, it was very hard for the T'au to eliminate the heavy hitting ability of the army. Many Drones died saving his Broadsides from getting killed by them. Here again, as Chase would say, Chaos Marines in ruins are like cockroaches.

Terminators: Combi-Bolters are legit. It's a lot of shots coming from that Terminator group. The Power Axes are disappointingly less cool than they used to be and are the default weapon. It took a good while to work through just two Broadsides (6 wounds each). The good news...they DID grind through them. I lost 8 of my 15 Terminators just trying to get into combat because Overwatch is a thing for the T'au Empire and bad dice rolls plagued me for a good part of the battle. I think that against a little less terrifying overwatch, the results would have been more spectacular but they did their job in the end, getting the Warlord kill and Line Breaker (which after all is the goal).

Chaos Lords: My baseline Chaos Lords got treated like Spawn. I pushed them forward towards the enemy right along with the Spawn and without any upgrades they did a fine job against inferior melee opponents. 5 attacks with a Chainsword is a good time. If I can get just a few points free, I might change one to a Sorcerer for that sweet sweet Smite action.

Spawn: Like the Chaos Lords, they were there to kick off the charges and generally gum things up. There is definite value to slowing enemies down or stopping them from shooting in subsequent rounds. That is exactly what the Spawn were able to do, essentially bashing at units that were attempting to get to the objective and stopping them long enough to force them to stay or abandon their progress.

The force worked well. In fact it worked FAR better than I anticipated. Eager to try it out against other forces.

Final score was 6-0. Let's watch the Galaxy burn.

Bahaha and you doubted cheap tacticals.
- If you are going to lose, then make sure they have a costly victory.
Morendie
Lieutenant

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:03 am

I dont recall "doubting them". I do however have a recollection of killing them. =)
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Unorthodoxy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:33 pm

Chaos Space Marines prevailed again.

In my opinion the list just looks uninspiring on paper and it was hard to make it work as a Brigade.

IN actual play I am learning more about this army. More observations from this particular battle:

1. Chaos Lords, completely unarmed are fantastic as torpedoes. They barely ever miss and even with a Chainsword (5 attacks) and nothing else, they do a great job of tangling with units and stealing their shooting phases. I plunge them right into the heart of the enemy and see what happens. Utterly expendable, like the Spawns. I could do more damage with a better weapon, but nothing short of a Power Fist really does enough to make me happy enough to pay for it, as points were TIGHT to fit this into a Briagade. I lost only one of them. That 4+ invulnerable save is gold.

2. Again the Chaos Marines were fantastic worker bees. I lost only one unit of them. They did tremendous damage. Lascannons do work in those little squads.

3. Defiler is so big, that it can assault multiple units with ease. As I observed previously, it needed to be in the front line. So I stuck it dead center and propelled it forward into the enemy. My first charge went swimmingly, catching three different units in its net. The second only caught one unit in its net. Either way it did damage with both its battle cannon, its claws and its scourge. Better usage = better results.

4. Havocs were great. I got to assault with them, which was kind of a fun change of pace. Otherwise nothing interesting to report.

5. Terminators NEED to be Khornate I think. The Icon would help a LOT. They missed all three charges. Can't keep doing that. It's always a risk when you Deep Strike. Certainly its cool that its even an option but it steal means you must NOT count on it working. Icon of Khorn would let me re-roll charges.

Spawn: Meh. They are what they are. I was able to gum up THREE units with one Spawn though thanks to how he had clumped up. So that was pretty sweet.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Return to 40K Army Lists