WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

2.000 Points US armor - opinions welcome

2.000 Points US armor - opinions welcome

Postby Dan the German Guy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Having completed my "Operation Underdog" Volksgrenadier list, I'm now moving on to a fun project that has been on my mind for some time now, the "Patton Project".
Here's a new 2.000 Points 4th US Armored list from the "Blood, Guts and Glory" book I'm tinkering with, basically a US tank company during the Lorraine campaign.
I created this as something of a fun list, with units I like. Patton is in there because I'm a great fan of his - to be honest, he's the chief reason this list ever came into being. And I chose combat engineers over infantry because I like engineers, and because they bring engineering skills, bazookas and heavy machine guns to the battle - always pays to bring big guns to a war. I'm still deciding where to shave off a few points to allow for an L4 AOP.
Please feel free to comment.

Lt. Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
M20 Utility

Tank Company HQ
1 M4A3 (76mm) Sherman
1 M4A3 (105mm)
2 x Improvised Armour

No.1 Tank Platoon
3 M4A3 (late) Sherman
1 M4A3 (76mm) Sherman

No.2 Tank Platoon
3 M4A3 (late) Sherman
1 M4A3 (76mm) Sherman

Recon Platoon
2 Recon Sections
add. Bazooka team

Combat Engineer Platoon
2 Operating Squads
M4 Sherman Dozer
M3 halftracks
Bazooka teams
Pioneer Supply Truck

Armored Artillery Battery
1 Gun Section
Trucks
Dan the German Guy
Corporal

Re: 2.000 Points US armor - opinions welcome

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:16 pm

I have never faced a Patton army so this is pretty cool.

Its usually wise to have an even number of Platoons. Im counting only 5. That would be one concern. Any way at all to work that out? 4 or 6 would be better because reserves kinda hurt your feelings sometimes. Also, on the off chance you defend, 6 is better.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby DylanGould » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Unorthodoxy wrote:Also, on the off chance you defend, 6 is better.

Patton brings a scout car full of "always attacks".
Dan the German Guy wrote:I'm still deciding where to shave off a few points to allow for an L4 AOP.

Unless I'm missing something, you have about 400 points left for the AOP. Jumbos rock, as do 105s...I would put more of both in the list, unless you are going for a specific unit that didn't have them available. I like a 105, a Jumbo, and two 76s in each of two platoons, with a 105 and a Jumbo in the HQ. Ends up looking like this:
Attachments
Patton 2K.JPG
Patton 2K.JPG (75.71 KiB) Viewed 892 times
DylanGould
Lieutenant

Postby Dan the German Guy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:28 pm

I'm getting slightly different points values on my list... I should have pointed out more strongly that "4th Armored" equals a Veteran list, so I'm getting higher point costs across the board.
Also, my four-strong tank platoons cost 450 points each with 3 M4A3 (late) Shermans and one A3 (late) 76mm.
Thus, my list maxes out at 1975 points.

As for Jumbos, I see their value and the synergy effect they're bringing... and yet, I can't bring myself to field them. Their special rules are just as broken and overdone as those of the TDs - which are also completely absent from my list.

Having said that, on a quite personal note, every time I see a battle report on WWPD that shows tanks lining up fender to fender in their deployment zone, it makes me want to puke... ;-)
Dan the German Guy
Corporal

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:20 pm

and see, this is why PanzerGrenadiers are great!

Though if you look I have a new idea on that old idea brewing.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby DylanGould » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:10 am

Dan the German Guy wrote:...every time I see a battle report on WWPD that shows tanks lining up fender to fender in their deployment zone...

Remember, the ground scale is different from figure scale; that parking lot represents an approximate position.
DylanGould
Lieutenant

Postby Dan the German Guy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:42 am

@ Unorthodoxy: Yes, I have seen it, and took the liberty of commenting to it. Interesting list you have there, though not technically a Panzergrenadier list any more.

@Dylan: Point well made, and taken. Also, the people on WWPD tend to field highly specialized lists that are optimized for one single purpose and overwhelmingly powerful when utilized in that role. Only, quite a few people seem to have taken their example from them and optimized their lists to get the maximum out of tweaking the rules. Not fun if you're playing realistically and tactically sound but still get clobbered by an opponent with an insane list 'cause he's a sneaky snake. ;-)

Going over Unorthodoxy`s list made me think I'm severly short of artillery with only three 105s in this list. Thus, i'll find myself rather pressed when trying to dig out opposing infantry. But I don't see where I could get some more points from. The Engineers are my force for holding ground or storming a fortified position. They have a Sherman bulldozer for increased firepower against dug-in opponents, and the 2-in-C with his 105 Sherman will join them to beef them up even more. And my Recon section is my life insurance for General Patton. So I can't drop any of those components without compromising my combat effectiveness - or can't I?
Dan the German Guy
Corporal

Postby Dan the German Guy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:20 am

I've opened a modelling thread on my new list.
Dan the German Guy
Corporal

Return to Army Lists