WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Volks Pioneer Company - opinions welcome

Volks Pioneer Company - opinions welcome

Postby Dan the German Guy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:16 am

First of all, I'd like to thank again all my "brothers in gaming" who made time during the last two weeks to come to the table and allow me to test-run and bloody my new Volksgrenadier army for the first time, first and foremost Dylan and Josef. I've learned a lot from you guys, and I'm looking forward to our next matches. I owe you a debt of gratitude.

Having said that, this leads me to the topic at the heart of this thread:
The performance of my single Volks Pioneer Platoon has left a lasting impression on me throughout both gaming sessions. It was that single, isolated platoon who, with a minimum of fire support, anchored an entire flank in the face of a superior force until reserves arrived, destroying an enemy infantry platoon and several tanks in the process. Or, to say it in Dylan's immortal words: "It's where all the cool kids hang out."

Accordingly, I'd really like to field an entire company of these tough professionals. I could just make use of the vanilla Pionierkompanie list, but rather, I'd like to make it the Volksgrenadier equivalent of one. The way I see it, there'd be two ways of accomplishing that: first, I could simply take the Pionierkompanie and swap out the Volks Pioneer Platoon entry from the NUTS! book for the regular Pioneer Platoons, as well as replacing the Grenadier and Fallschirmjaeger support options with Sturm and Schuetzen Platoons.
Or, which I'd consider more realistic: I could take the regular Volksgrenadier infantry company list and just replace the mandatory infantry platoons with two Volks Pioneer Platoons, making the Sturm and Schuetzen Platoons divisional support options instead. The Panzerfaust Assault Rifle Company Command and 2-in-C teams would remain unchanged. They are not Pioneer teams anyway even in the Pionierkompanie list.

I'd like your opinions on both solutions.
Dan the German Guy
Corporal

Re: Volks Pioneer Company - opinions welcome

Postby Unorthodoxy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Man I didn't even see this post. I shall give it some thought. Soon....
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Return to Army Lists