WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Late-War Volksgrenadier List - Opinions welcome.

Re: Late-War Volksgrenadier List - Opinions welcome.

Postby Unorthodoxy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:38 am

Lol, I just meant the one gun. hehehe. I'll respond tomorrow when im not dropping to sleep.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Dan the German Guy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:06 am

Fun fact: I looked up the TOE for a run-of-the-mill Volks grenadier company, and they were each assigned, as organic support weapons, two heavy machine guns, two medium mortars and two light infantry howitzers. I'm thinking that with a little tweaking (drop a mortar section, drop the entirely unnecessary Panzerfaust SMG HQ from the Scout platoon) I could get a two-gun IG battery with limbers. That would leave me with the same number of shots, the same number of observer teams, better AT capability and I'll still retain the capability to throw smoke.

Yet, the question remains: IGs vs. mortars. A penny for your thoughts.
Dan the German Guy
Corporal

Postby Unorthodoxy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:50 am

skip the mortar in that case.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Dan the German Guy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:27 am

:lol: Or I could always go overboard and use 105s as infantry guns, firing over open sights. THAT will stop those tanks.
Dan the German Guy
Corporal

Postby Unorthodoxy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:31 am

thats what i do. I use 105's. I like them. took them out of my list on the advice of someone but after three games of that i am ready to conclude that was a bad idea. Breakthrough guns are really important when digging out infantry. Make sure you get the ones that are mobile. Those are much better.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby DylanGould » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:27 pm

@ Josef: none of the guns he lists are Breakthrough Guns. There is a set of Bunker Busters and a set of Breakthrough Guns as divisional support artillery, though.

Dan the German Guy wrote:Yet, the question remains: IGs vs. mortars. A penny for your thoughts.

The mortars get four chances to range in instead of three (reroll the first attempt), so for bombardment purposes, they are slightly more reliable than standard artillery, but have a lower anti-tank capability; they do, however, have the same 3+ firepower in direct fire, and a rate of fire of 2 (as do the IGs and the PaKs).

For the smoke uses, the IGs only have direct fire smoke, while the mortars have both direct fire smoke and smoke bombardments. The PaKs have neither.

For defensive purposes, mixing guns in with or slightly behind infantry gives you much better anti-tank capability in case of tank assaults than the mortars do, since the mortars have low AT and a minimum 8" range, but you have that covered well with the Fausts.

So, it all comes down to playstyle...all three versions of artillery support have their pros and cons. Personally, I get the best mileage out of the mortars.
DylanGould
Lieutenant

Postby Dan the German Guy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:15 am

Thank you both for your insights. Good point on the re-roll for mortars. Sounds to me like mortars will fit into pretty much any build, with a lean towards offensive tactics, while IGs are more suited to a defensive playstyle, being able to deal with both armor and infantry assaults. Breakthrough guns seem a must when assaulting a fortified position.
Or I can make use of the Kampfgruppe special rule and attach a single PaK40 to my assault element when up against armored troops.
I guess I'll just have to test-drive my army a couple times, see what works best.

@ Unorthodoxy: 105s move as Heavy Gun teams on their own, but at least, they move. :D
Dan the German Guy
Corporal

Postby Unorthodoxy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:10 am

some 105's move and some dont. I always buy the ones that move.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Previous

Return to Army Lists