WarSound.com

South Puget Sound's Tabletop Gamers Forum

Experimental Volksgrenadier list

Experimental Volksgrenadier list

Postby Dan the German Guy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:49 pm

I've been thinking over my Volksgrenadier list - again! - and I'd like your opinions on a different approach.

So far, it's a 1780 points CV list (that seems to be the most widely used benchmark these days). Note: PF reads Panzerfaust.

Volksgrenadier Company HQ (CO, 2-in-C and two Schreck teams) (CV)

Major Siegfried Moldenhauer (German Warrior Higher Command SMG team, hits on 2+ in assaults and gives unpin re-rolls in the Assault phase)

Full Sturm Platoon (HQ, four Assault Rifle PF teams, two MG PF teams)

Full Schuetzen Platoon (HQ, six Rifle/MG PF teams)

Full Pionier Platoon (my auto-select platoon, SMG HQ, nine Rifle PF Pioneer teams)

Full Volkssturm Platoon (HQ, seven Rifle PF teams, one LMG team)

Pak40 Platoon (3 Pak40 plus trucks)

Light Artillery Battery (3 10,5 howitzers)

Volks Werfer Battery (six NW42 Nebs with Super-Heavy Rockets plus trucks)

Sturmpanzer Platoon (3 Sturmpanzer IV "Brummbar")

It's an unusual list in several respects.
First of all, this list is cannon-heavy. I'm putting Pak40s and 10,5s into one list for the first time. I've never used them before, actually I've never even included them in a single list before, only ever one or the other. But 10,5s bring smoke, are Breakthrough guns and can kill tanks in a pinch.
The Brummbars carry Bunker Busters, but lack the rate of fire of StuGs. They are something of a loose cannon - I managed not to kill jack with three of them throughout an entire game, but they WILL tear through infantry and guns in a hurry, given half a chance.
Also, it's the first time I'm including a German direct-action Warrior in any of my list.
The Volkssturm is out of place, but it's new, I'd like to use it, and there were Volksgrenadier division fighting in the Ruhr pocket, so it's historical.

Downside:
I don't get enough points to include neither a HMG platoon nor a Scout platoon nor my light AA platoon in this list. Then again, my greatest worry is tanks, and neither helps against those, so the point is probably moot anyway. I'd pick HMGs on sheer sadism alone, and because I might have trouble stopping a Soviet human-wave attack with so many rifle teams.
Also, I'm thinking of swapping Moldenhauer for a sniper team and / or the Volkssturm for the light AA.

So, gentlemen, your thoughts, please.
Dan the German Guy
Corporal

Re: Experimental Volksgrenadier list

Postby Unorthodoxy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:25 pm

Well it looks in design similar to my Panzergrenadiers, really. A few ground pounding units, rockets, 40's, and artillery. =)

Looks pretty defensive overall. enemy has to draw into you and you outrange a lot of weapons. Assault Rifle teams can skirt the battlefield perhaps if terrain permits.
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Postby Dan the German Guy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:47 am

I take it you approve of it, then. :-)

Well, it is pretty defensive. Without a Scout platoon, I do not get auto-attack against infantry, so I will be on the defense most of the times.

One thought that crossed my mind: standing on the defense hinges on being able to project enough firepower to prevent or blunt assaults, or to counter-attack a penetration fast enough. I am not sure if I can do either, with roughly half my infantry teams being rifle teams, and only three vehicles to my name. I might have to hold my assault rifles in reserve as a counter-attack force.

On the other hand, what can I do to turn this list into an attack force that can move forward? Switch out something for grenadiers in trucks?
Dan the German Guy
Corporal

Postby Unorthodoxy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:57 pm

Dan the German Guy wrote:I take it you approve of it, then. :-)

Well, it is pretty defensive. Without a Scout platoon, I do not get auto-attack against infantry, so I will be on the defense most of the times.

One thought that crossed my mind: standing on the defense hinges on being able to project enough firepower to prevent or blunt assaults, or to counter-attack a penetration fast enough. I am not sure if I can do either, with roughly half my infantry teams being rifle teams, and only three vehicles to my name. I might have to hold my assault rifles in reserve as a counter-attack force.

On the other hand, what can I do to turn this list into an attack force that can move forward? Switch out something for grenadiers in trucks?

I like trucks. I missed this post somehow. Sorry!
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Unorthodoxy
Major

Return to Army Lists